Page 1 of 1

#1 Recommend a rust proof process?

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:04 am
by Zei220
My etype will soon complete the import process and I was wondering if anyone could recommend where I could get it rust proofed, something like waxoyl etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dave

#2 Re: Recommend a rust proof process?

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm
by Dave K
Zei220 wrote:My etype will soon complete the import process and I was wondering if anyone could recommend where I could get it rust proofed, something like waxoyl etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dave
Someone I can't remember their name now used to advertise in the JEC mag.
I did it myself using a pro shutz gun and an old can of Shutz and made an attachment to go on the end of the gun with a nylon hose. What a mess, the stuff goes everywhere and then on hot days it runs out and looks like dog poo on the drive. This only happens a few times until the excess has drained off.

Dave

#3

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 am
by Zei220
Thanks dave...

Anyone know the name of the company dave mentions?

#4

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:17 am
by neil4444
Hi Dave,

There are companies specialising in this (although I've not used them myself), e.g. http://www.waxoylprofessional.com/
A few companies also advertise on ebay

Alternatively there are DIY waxoyl kits available with different nozzles, etc to enable you to get into all the nooks, crannies, box sections, etc.

HTH

Neil

#5

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am
by Lambo911
Problem with the Shutz stuff is that water can still get in and chase underneath it so you can't see the rush forming. And it looks rubbish!

I'd treat any rust first with a converter and then waxoyl it.

#6

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm
by 288gto
Hello Dave,
I've just noticed you are only half an hour away. If it's something you fancy having a bash at yourself, I have a large compressor, the application gun and an assortment of nozzles and extensions. You are welcome to call round. What I don't have unfortunately is a ramp which would make it a lot easier. As others have said, I would be reluctant to just cover up existing rust. It needs to be treated first. Have a look at www.rust.co.uk there is quite a bit of useful info on there.

Simon