Page 1 of 1

#1 Oil Pressure

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:49 pm
by patteian
Hi,

Have been trying to figure this one out for a while with no luck, does not seem to cause any problems with the running of the engine.

When the engine is cold oil pressure between 40-50 PSI. As the engine warms up it starts creeping towards 50 PSI and after 30 minutes or so running creeps up to 60 sometimes pushing the needle off the scale. This happens whether idling or at 70mph.

I recently changed the oil (GTX 10/40) and filter hoping that would help, is does not, any ideas?

Regards

Ian.

#2

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:02 pm
by Heuer
Ian

The oil pressure sender is notoriously unreliable. The JEC sell a new sender and gauge (you need both as they work on a different principle) or you could fit a mechanical gauge. Full details here: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173 For ease of installation I would go with the JEC parts - takes less than an hour to convert.

#3

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 am
by Moeregaard
Ian, David's spot on with this one. My vote goes for the JEC gauge and sender. Mechanical units are great until one starts leaking behind the panel.

#4

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:47 pm
by patteian
Many thanks for your advice, I'll be contacting JEC soon.

#5

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:17 pm
by andyp
I love my JEC gauge and sender. I used to have 20lbs at a hot tick over. I now have 40lbs.

Far cheaper than an engine rebuild :D