Page 1 of 1

#1 Engine crane

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm
by Neil
Does anyone have a recommendation for a folding engine crane?
What lift capacity is needed at what extension to get the engine and gearbox out?

Neil

#2

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:06 pm
by Moeregaard
Neil, most of the engine hoists sold in the U.S. come out of some really large Chinese factory and are sold by any number of automotive and industrial suppliers. They typically have a one-ton/450-kg capacity. I suspect the situation is similar in Europe. The one I have has an adjustable arm, which obvious reduces capacity as the arm is extended. Mine has lifted engines from Jaguars, Austin-Healeys, and even the 7.5-litre big-block Chevrolet from a friend's ski boat.

One point I'd like to add regarding E-Type engine removal is that pulling the engine/gearbox assembly from above involves raising the entire mess to a scary height. I prefer to lower everything to the ground, separate the engine and 'box, and lift the engine out on its own. Much easier and safer.

#3

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 am
by Heuer
Neil

XK engine and transmission weigh about 600lbs/270Kg assuming no oil, water and a few ancillaries. A one ton folding crane from Machine Mart should be fine.

#4

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:24 am
by christopher storey
Neil : Machine Mart in the UK do a good one, but I don't know if you can get Machine Mart in Europe . About ?160 . I recommend that you also buy a load leveller, which only cost about ?30, and make a crucial difference to the ease of getting engines in and out, as you can vary the point of balance merely by screwing a handle, thus altering ( up to about 45 degrees ) the angle of dangle