4 speed synchro box and bonnet weight
-
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Topic author - Posts: 1090
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 pm
- Location: sarf london
- Contact:

#1 4 speed synchro box and bonnet weight
Hi does anyone know the weight of gearbox from my S 2 , starting to calculate the weight loss of my car , also does anyone know the weight of a standard steel bonnet , thanks for any ideas
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#2
The gearbox is in the region of 85 lbs, and the steel bonnet is about 150 lbs ( don't hold me to that too closely but 3 men can lift one with ease, one at either wheelarch and one at the nose )
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Topic author - Posts: 1090
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 pm
- Location: sarf london
- Contact:

#3
Thanks for the reply , quite surprised about the weight of the box , as the T5 I will be replacing it with is 36 km and the main casing is aluminium ?? Every days a school day ,
Bit surprised I can't find the info on the Web ?
Bit surprised I can't find the info on the Web ?
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
38Kg/83.6Lbs for a short wheelbase car according to Uryk at Etypefabs.
johnney
1968 FHC series 1
1E21862
1968 FHC series 1
1E21862
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Topic author - Posts: 1090
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 pm
- Location: sarf london
- Contact:

#5
Now found a Web site that states the T5 is 34 KG
, confused of Orpington :?
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
I weighed all these components back when I was racing an E Type. As I recall the standard 4 speed all synco box with bell housing was 95 pounds. The T5 with bellhousing is said to be 15 pounds lighter. I never weighed it before I put it in. As to the bonnet, the one I raced with had no lights, bumpers, wiring and no headlight glass and all the internal bulkheads were aluminum. I weighed it at 120 pounds, so I expect that a fully dressed all steel one would be in the range of 175 - 200 pounds.
1967 E Type coupe
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
I weighed all these components back when I was racing an E Type. As I recall the standard 4 speed all synco box with bell housing was 95 pounds. The T5 with bellhousing is said to be 15 pounds lighter. I never weighed it before I put it in. As to the bonnet, the one I raced with had no lights, bumpers, wiring and no headlight glass and all the internal bulkheads were aluminum. I weighed it at 120 pounds, so I expect that a fully dressed all steel one would be in the range of 175 - 200 pounds.
1967 E Type coupe
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
Aluminum is about 35% the density of iron, but most of the T5 box is still iron, the casing is only one component of it.dal2.0litrefrogeye wrote: the T5 I will be replacing it with is 36 km and the main casing is aluminium
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
It also has an extra gear! Etypefabs 5 speed box is 33Kgdal2.0litrefrogeye wrote:Thanks for the reply , quite surprised about the weight of the box , as the T5 I will be replacing it with is 36 km and the main casing is aluminium ?? Every days a school day ,
Bit surprised I can't find the info on the Web ?
johnney
1968 FHC series 1
1E21862
1968 FHC series 1
1E21862
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




