Post
by Durango2k » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:21 pm
I have been exactly at the same point. Read it carefully, this is what often seems to happen:
a) you take the old clutch out. Its a 10 inch dia type clutch.
b) you ask your supplier, and they think 10 inch, okay, and send you a 10 inch spring type clutch, because the 10 inch dia type is really unknown to a lot of people, I think it was only fitted by the factory in 1965 and 1966. My car is an early 1966 and it had it.
Proof- the factory drilled almost all of these flywheels with both set of of holes, for 10 inch dia and 9.5 inch dia type. This means they knew ! in advance !!! that they would only be using the 10 inch dia type for a short time.
To me, this always smells like "Mr. Whittaker, we have a few thousand 10 inch dia types here, but were are stopping them soon- do you want them all, for a special price ?".
c) this means you will need to buy the 9.5 inch dia type which can be bought from SNG for example.
d) SNG do offer the bolts for this 9.5 inch dia type on their clutch website, shown above. The 9.5 imch clutch uses a different bolt size compared to the 10 inch dia type, so you need new ones.
e) the bolts they sell are too long, sadly. This is because in the old days, you would use half-moon shaped metal spacers which were used to balance the clutch mechanism. These are nowhere available, and no longer needed anyway, because the modern clutch comes balanced.
I had it exactly this way- and after I got the 9.5 inch dia type, I had to shorten then bolts, then it all made sense and I could fit it.
Good luck !
Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650