S1 Sticky front brakes
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#1 S1 Sticky front brakes
Hi Everyone
On my last long run I noticed that the car was pulling to the near side under medium braking. The car came fitted with the Coopercraft "Zeus" callipers at the front.
I found that the lower outer piston on the driver's side was stuck. This tied in with the symptoms I had experienced.
I ended up replacing all four pistons, seals and dust covers
in the calliper and at the same time fitted new braided flexible hoses to both sides.
Unfortunately the problem persists. Surely the new pistons can't have stuck as well. Thoughts please.
Cheers
Alan
On my last long run I noticed that the car was pulling to the near side under medium braking. The car came fitted with the Coopercraft "Zeus" callipers at the front.
I found that the lower outer piston on the driver's side was stuck. This tied in with the symptoms I had experienced.
I ended up replacing all four pistons, seals and dust covers
in the calliper and at the same time fitted new braided flexible hoses to both sides.
Unfortunately the problem persists. Surely the new pistons can't have stuck as well. Thoughts please.
Cheers
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Pads. Try swapping them over and see if the problem moves.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047
61 OTS 875047
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#3
Angus
Go to the top of the class. With the pads swapped over the E now has a rather unnerving habit of wanting to meet the oncoming traffic head-on. So I've had a seized piston and contaminated pads simultaneously. What are the chances of that.
What would you suggest as the best replacement pads. I have the Coopercaft Zeus callipers.
Thanks Again
Alan
Go to the top of the class. With the pads swapped over the E now has a rather unnerving habit of wanting to meet the oncoming traffic head-on. So I've had a seized piston and contaminated pads simultaneously. What are the chances of that.
What would you suggest as the best replacement pads. I have the Coopercaft Zeus callipers.
Thanks Again
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
David Oslo
- Posts: 653
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:13 pm
- Location: Norway

#4
Think Angus is already top of the class :D
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
I use Greenstuff pads in my Zeus calipers - work very well.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
Depends on driving style. If you dont drive it hard, the standard pads are fine. Greenstuff are great but can glaze if not pushed hard enough.
We have just sorted the brakes on a s2 2+2. Long pedal and no bite to the brakes at all. Everyone had had a go at bleeding the brakes to no avail. Turned out the rear outer pistons had seized and the fronts were sticking. Rebuilt calipers all round and new pads (replaced the greenstuff) and the eldetly, long term owner is delighted.
We have just sorted the brakes on a s2 2+2. Long pedal and no bite to the brakes at all. Everyone had had a go at bleeding the brakes to no avail. Turned out the rear outer pistons had seized and the fronts were sticking. Rebuilt calipers all round and new pads (replaced the greenstuff) and the eldetly, long term owner is delighted.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047
61 OTS 875047
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#7
I've had Greenstuff pads in the GT6 for many years and I agree they're first rate. Do I order the Greenstuff pads for the 3.8 or. 4.2 or is it another size entirely for Zeus calipers?
Cheers
Alan
Cheers
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
You need the ones for the S2 E-Type (larger curved. not the small rectangle used on the S1's): http://tinyurl.com/p7cjhv2
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
I'm also replacing my pads (only to realize I also had a seized piston I'm tackling), with Greenstuff
Was delighted on my oher cars (Mk2, Stag) , but I often had to grind the edges a little bit (1/10th mm) to ease them in
Was delighted on my oher cars (Mk2, Stag) , but I often had to grind the edges a little bit (1/10th mm) to ease them in
2+2 1970
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
Topic author - Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#10
Well Greenstuff it is. Ordered today from EDC.
Thanks for the link David.
Any idea what yellowstuff pads are like?
Cheers
Alan
Thanks for the link David.
Any idea what yellowstuff pads are like?
Cheers
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#11
Not for a road car - too extreme!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




