Hi. Can someone please advise me what size of tap I should use to run down the spark plug thread on my 4.2 Series 1 head? Should the tap be imperial or are they all metric? Where can I obtain such a tap?
Any assistance will be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
George
4.2 Series 1 Spark Plug Thread Tap
-
Moeregaard
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm
- Location: Thousand Oaks, California

#2
The correct thread is 14mm X 1.25mm, and any good tool supplier should be able to provide the tap. Re-tapping the threads might buy you some time, but if they're damaged the only permanent solution is to install inserts (Helicoil, etc.).
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036
Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036
Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
gmunro
Topic author - Posts: 119
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:34 pm
- Location: Hillsborough, Northern Ireland

#3 4.2 Series 1 Spark Plug Tap
Thanks Mark for the advice.
The threads are not damaged but when the head was painted, I can see some paint has gone into the spark plug holes. I just want to "clean" the threads up a bit.
Your advice is much appreciated.
Kindest regards,
George
The threads are not damaged but when the head was painted, I can see some paint has gone into the spark plug holes. I just want to "clean" the threads up a bit.
Your advice is much appreciated.
Kindest regards,
George
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
One trick would be to cut a couple of lengthwise grooves in the thread of an old plug with a Dremel. Then grease it (to catch the swarf) and install then remove it.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
gmunro
Topic author - Posts: 119
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:34 pm
- Location: Hillsborough, Northern Ireland

#5 Series 1 4.2 spark plug thread tap
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the idea ...... I'll give it a try.
Yours aye,
George
Thanks for the idea ...... I'll give it a try.
Yours aye,
George
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



