Hi all
I'm having a little trouble with closing my soft top centre latch. No matter what I do at the moment with the hook (loosen / tighten), the centre latch is springing open again. I also notice that the notch V doesn't seem to fully go down into the receiving hole.
When it is being closed, the panel does seem to bow a little with the pressure of closing, but the latch just springs open again on most occasions. Should it remain closed, it only takes a bump in the road to pop it open again.
I've been searching around but can't see a good guide or tips for adjusting the soft top. Has anyone got any pointers or write ups they know about?
Soft top adjustment
#1 Soft top adjustment
-Mark
1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'
1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#2
You need to adjust the mounting of your catch to achieve a more positive 'over-centre' effect. Usually it means putting a washer or two under the front/lower pair of mounting screws to tip the catch back on itself a little.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Thanks Peter.
There are already a couple of nuts spacing the foremost screws to align the catch better "over centre" and tip it back a little. Still popping open though
There are already a couple of nuts spacing the foremost screws to align the catch better "over centre" and tip it back a little. Still popping open though
Last edited by mark10337 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'
1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#4
The catch is designed to work when both halves are aligned. They are aligned when the pin and receiver are fully engaged. If you are way off then you need to adjust things until the two parts align and the rest will follow. Nothing more I can really do from 3500 miles away.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
I changed the hooks as the previous ones had become a little bent over time. That has helped a little.
With further testing today, I found that it is the pressure on the windscreen at higher speeds (100 km/h and above) that seems to be pushing the windscreen back and then causing the latch to pop.
With the car at a standstill, and the latches closed, if I push on the windscreen a little, slightly off centre, off-side, three quarters of the way up, sure enough, it pops straight away.
Further thoughts and pointers very, very welcome. I'm a bit frustrated with it.
With further testing today, I found that it is the pressure on the windscreen at higher speeds (100 km/h and above) that seems to be pushing the windscreen back and then causing the latch to pop.
With the car at a standstill, and the latches closed, if I push on the windscreen a little, slightly off centre, off-side, three quarters of the way up, sure enough, it pops straight away.
Further thoughts and pointers very, very welcome. I'm a bit frustrated with it.
-Mark
1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'
1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



