Page 1 of 1
#1 cylinder head bolt chrome washers
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am
by andrewh
Last time I fitted a set of new chrome D washers to the cylinder head bolts they tended to want to twist out of line when torqued. I have seen others where they are perfectly straight. I think this is as the head bolt is not perfectly straight or dead tight in the cylinder head hole and there is natural float therefore. Anyone achieved a trick for this? I did think about making a tool to hold them straight but pretty tricky when applying the torque?
#2
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 am
by johnney
Washer to head dry, washer to nut grease.
#3
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:25 am
by abowie
If the fit properly they stay straight.
If not. measure the gap and put a screwdriver/bit of metal in to hold them straight while you torque them.
#4
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 pm
by PeterCrespin
abowie wrote:If the fit properly they stay straight.
If not. measure the gap and put a screwdriver/bit of metal in to hold them straight while you torque them.
Agree totally. Very obvious and easy, no grease required and with a tapered screwdriver blade you have perfect adjustability.
#5
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:37 pm
by johnney
Yes very simple no grease required just a second pair of hands to hold the screw driver. In addition you can touch up your new cylinder paint job when you have finished with fresh etch primer and gold paint.
#6
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:39 pm
by andrewh
Yes I tried the screwdriver trick last time but it was tricky without the second pair of hands. Now I know I must train the wife. Thanks chaps.
#7
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:30 pm
by PeterCrespin
You only need a tiny electrical screwdriver and the 'nip' of the washer holds it in place. My wife has never had to help on that job, albeit she used to do her own oil changes and replaced an alternator before I met her. Her latest power tool - a saw bench - cost double my 97 XJ6.