#1 Torsion bar reaction plate bolt nuts
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm
Hi guys,
Tried to fit the large TB bolts - the sideway ones which go towards the footwells.
Found I have a problem:
RH side, I have a loong new bolt from SNG- but there is no thread in the floor rail. Maybe there once was one, now, the bolt fully shows in the footwell.
LH side, there is no hole visible. PO used a "basic" replacement parts as Pete once told me, so I guess either some remains of a bolt are there or the footwell side of the bolt is just rail or footwell metal.
Now, what would you do ?
RH : use a nut, outside the rail, weld it to the rail after torqueing it down ?
I don't really want to drill and hack the rail to set an internal nut, it would end up poorly, given the limited access with engine and gearbox fitted.
LH: use a sharp pointed chisel (as you do before drilling in flat metal), and hit it with a hammer (hint! a hammer is always involved !), then look for the dent from the footwell side to locate it, then use the same chisel in the footwell in reverse and drill from here, finally as there is no thread visible do the rest the same way as RH ?
Carsten
Tried to fit the large TB bolts - the sideway ones which go towards the footwells.
Found I have a problem:
RH side, I have a loong new bolt from SNG- but there is no thread in the floor rail. Maybe there once was one, now, the bolt fully shows in the footwell.
LH side, there is no hole visible. PO used a "basic" replacement parts as Pete once told me, so I guess either some remains of a bolt are there or the footwell side of the bolt is just rail or footwell metal.
Now, what would you do ?
RH : use a nut, outside the rail, weld it to the rail after torqueing it down ?
I don't really want to drill and hack the rail to set an internal nut, it would end up poorly, given the limited access with engine and gearbox fitted.
LH: use a sharp pointed chisel (as you do before drilling in flat metal), and hit it with a hammer (hint! a hammer is always involved !), then look for the dent from the footwell side to locate it, then use the same chisel in the footwell in reverse and drill from here, finally as there is no thread visible do the rest the same way as RH ?
Carsten
