Page 1 of 1

#1 Old fuel pump as a spare

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:28 pm
by vikla
I have an old SU fuel pump (AUF 305) taken off a 1965 4.2 about 15 years ago.
Apparently it was working OK at the time.

I was thinking about carrying it around as a spare, however some advice would be appreciated:
- how easy is it to test it off the car?
- are there internal parts (e.g. rubber diaphragm) that might have deteriorated over the years having been left in a 'dry' state?

I thought about refurbishing it but see the kit costs over ?40 which makes the cost of a new pump look quite reasonable.

#2

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:53 pm
by Heuer
Simply connect it to a car battery and it should click. I say 'should' because it probably won't! In my experience if they are unused for 2 years or more they will need servicing. Last year I decided to test my spare and it did not work after 18 months in the spare wheel well. Had to disassemble/reassemble it to get it to pump which would have been difficult by the side of the road. So test, service and carry it but remember to test every year.

#3

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:27 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Steve.....connect 2 hoses..........get yourself 1/2 a bucket of diesel, connect up and see if it pumps.........if it all works shake out any residue.......not sure if the diesel will eat the seals but should at least keep it a bit lubed up.......even if you buy a new spare you need to test it before carrying as a spare i purchased a new one and it leaked from a pinhole in the caseing

#4

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:44 pm
by ralphr1780
I have fitted new points to my old SU (replaced with the electronic version) and safely wrapped it tight in the boot as a spare. Have however squirted in few ml of engine oil. Tested it after 18 months and ticks fine.

#5

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:30 pm
by vikla
Thanks for the advice guys.
I'll do a bit of testing in the near future.