Page 1 of 1

#1 Stromberg piston lift

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:27 pm
by doffo25
Im (still1) trying to diagnose a starting fault on my 73 series3 ots which has been standing for years. I have (fresh) fuel pressure, compression, and fat sparks. It wont fire but will splutter if I spray fuel into air intakes. The plugs remain dry. Its a US spec so has lots of emissions pipework and Im wondering if there is a vacuum leak.
My main question is: On cranking the engine, should the carburettor pistons lift?

Thank you

David

#2 Re: Stromberg piston lift

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:14 pm
by abowie
There should not be enough vacuum to lift the pistons just cranking it on the starter. They will sit flat down on the bridge with the car idling.

#3

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:04 am
by doffo25
Thanks Andrew thats all I needed to know

best

David