Page 1 of 1
#1 Radius arm bush removal
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:40 pm
by PhilBell
Any tips on removing radius arm bushes, particularly the rear one?
I have access to a friend's hydraulic press but I'm having trouble supporting the radius arm properly because there's not much material beyond the bush.
#2
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:45 pm
by mgcjag
Yes use the press.....find some tube/large socket or what comes to hand to support the outer rim and press out the bush
#3
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:05 pm
by tim wood
I think I read recently that someone used a hole saw to cut out most of the centre of the bush and then carefully used a hacksaw to cut through the outer rim of the bush.
This then frees it from the radius arm and you can punch it out.
Regards
Tim
#4
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:09 pm
by christopher storey
I have never found it possible to remove a bush intact because the outer metal welds itself to the radius arm by rusting. I drill holes in the rubber and then cut most of the inner part of the bush away ( or you could, as suggested, make life easy with a deep hole saw ) and then hacksaw through the outer metal rim of the bush in two places and then carefully chisel it out . Once it starts to move it is usually relatively easy
#5
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:05 pm
by PhilBell
Thanks chaps. As I feared - messy but effective
#6
Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:11 pm
by abowie
They'll come out with the press. We have made a mandrel the right size to push the bush out.
Otherwise cutting the bush up is the way to go.
It's worth considering that you can buy a new radius arm complete with bushes from the usuals for a price that makes the effort of replacing bushes and repainting the old arm not worth the effort.
#7
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:45 pm
by PhilBell
Success, after much drilling, sawing and hammering with a combination of punch and cold chisel. After cleaning up the slightly rusty inner face of the radius arms the new bushes are relatively easy to press in with a vice.
Now onto the next job, freeing a stuck rear caliper piston.
#8
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:51 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Phil...try using a compressed air line in where the bleed nipple fits...dont use a screw in fitting just hold the nozzel in and give it a blast....cover with rag so the piston if it comes loose dosnt shoot across the garage