Page 1 of 1

#1 Door seal glue; I'm trying something different this time

Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:23 pm
by abowie
I'm finishing the reassembly of my S1.5 after having it painted.

I'm reinstalling all of the rubber body seals.

I've done this job several times now on different cars, and in the past I've used contact adhesive. I find correctly positioning the seals impossible with the damn stuff. The moment the 2 glued surfaces touch they stick and this makes trying to get the rubbers into channels beyond me.

This time I'm going to try using a "normal" glue that you put on wet and let dry. I'm going to go with E6000; "Goop" in the USA.

What I've done so far is position the seals perfectly using a few tiny blobs of Superglue.

Then what I plan to do is to lever the seal back and apply the E6000 between it and the bodywork. Then I'll shut the doors and leave the car for 24 hours for the E6000 to set.

I've had to order the glue online as it's not available locally.

I'll let you know how it goes.

#2

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:01 pm
by Moeregaard
If this is the Plumber's Goop (purple tube), that stuff sticks to everything. It dries clear and stays pliable, so this might be a good approach to install rubber bits.

#3

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:01 pm
by abowie
The same, I think. Those properties were what attracted me.

#4

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:59 am
by ralphr1780
Andrew, being partly involved professionally in adhesives, often the poor adhesion is between the rubber seal and the glue.
Thus, next to a clean painted surface, a fine sanding of the rubber surface followed by wiping with isopropanol or acetone or nc thinner (=containing ketones) will prepare it adequately for good bonding.

#5

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:46 am
by stevemanc
spread glue is the best bet for rubbers, 1 coat on keyed rubber and 1 coat on the paintwork. It is the same stuff that aldridge trimming use.

#6 Re: Door seal glue; I'm trying something different this time

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:33 am
by gmunro
Hi Stevemanc,

What is "spread glue" please - and where do I get it?

Many thanks Steve.

George

#7 Re: Door seal glue; I'm trying something different this time

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:13 am
by abowie
Having used the e6000 goop extensively now I am a big fan, especially for rubbers.