Page 1 of 1

#1 Horn bits

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:33 pm
by Durango2k
I have made up the wiring loom tonight: it now works. When I connect the black-purple to ground, it becomes very noisy in the shed.

Now, how does the switch part work ?

I do have: the long brass rod (nail end inside the steering colum?), the upper spring and the plastic upper guide.

Deep inside is another plastic guide, and what looks like a "crown" something.

Now, when I insert the rod, wire is connected to the bullet connector on top of the column (they did hide it, did they ?), and accidently touch ground by tiliting it, in makes a loud noise. So far, fine.

But when I simply push it in, no matter how far, it does not make any noise. Silence.

What next ? Is it a task of bending the lower contact inwards (after having removed the whole column to be able to adjust anything ? Or is the rod too short ? It looks like a nail, but when 1 mm is burnt of the tip I may have to lengthen it ?

Or is there a part missing ?

Carsten

#2 Re: Horn bits

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:01 am
by PeterCrespin
Durango2k wrote: Now, how does the switch part work ?

Or is there a part missing ?
Don't know. Do you have all the parts shown in your J38 spare parts book?

#3

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:54 am
by Durango2k
It seems so, yes.

My problem seems to be to find out WHERE the contact is made. Deep below inside the column or just on top ?

I researched the german forums, and found an answer- they say on top, inside the horn push button.

Well, I do not have the wheel fitted nor the button, so this may explain it :-)

Will test- fit these parts, and get back.

I initially believed that deep inside the column the contact is made when the thin rod is pushed inside against the upper spring by connecting two slide - contacts..... but it isn?t so.

Carsten

#4

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:07 am
by neil4444
Hi Carsten,

You need the horn button fitted to complete the circuit.

Or to test you can bridge a contact from the edge of the steering column to the brass rod.

Regards,

#5

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:35 pm
by Durango2k
Hi Neill,

It worked in "bridged mode"

Will test with horn later.

Hooray, another difficult thing mastered.

Carsten