Page 1 of 1
#1 Puzzling tyre problem
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 am
by Sjmmarsh
This is something I haven't run into before and it has me stumped.
I have wire wheels, presumably with inner tubes, and two of them lose pressure (to zero) over a few days but only when the weather is cold. As it has warmed up they hold pressure better and now they only lose a couple of psi over a week.
I've changed the valve inners but the problem is still there.
Any ideas where to look next?
Steve
#2
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 am
by mgcjag
Hi Steve...you need to find out if you have tubes......should be quite easy...with no air in the wheel the valve should be able to be pushed in where as tubeless have a tight fitting valve in the wheel....usually a puncture in a tubed will go completely flat where as on a tubeless..the position of the wheel could be a factor for instance a wheel with a nail in might only lose pressure if wheel is parked with the nail at the bottom, if parked with it at the top it might not.....you need to get the wheels off and have a cloce look....use very soapy water all over it and look for bubbles
#3
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:07 am
by Durango2k
Take the wheel of and drop it in a nearby lake. Wait a few minutes- if bubbles occur, well, you found it...
Sometimes tubes do get rubbed through on spokes- hopefully there?s a protective rubber band inside the rim ?
Carsten
#4
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:40 am
by malcolm
Just to confirm, I thought spoked wheels would have tubes, but lots are indeed tubeless
#5 Re: Puzzling tyre problem
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 am
by Sjmmarsh
It looks like I have tubeless tyres. The valve is steel and bolted to the rim. They are going down even more slowly now, so suspect a leak caused by metal on metal somewhere. I'll do a leak test when I get some time! (I also need to do the Strombergs as these are overfilling and flooding the engine when idling, so not getting much use at the moment).
Steve