Page 1 of 1
#1 Tacho conversion board
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:30 pm
by abowie
EBay link
I'm going to try one of these out and see how well it works.
#2 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:49 am
by Paul71a
I've got one of those fitted. Works well, although there was an initial problem if I used the horn, which resulted in the tacho flying round to the top and staying there. Easily fixed with a bit of electronic work on the horn relay which took me half an hour and a soldering iron.
#3 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:52 pm
by disaster123
This one looks great. So i can convert my miles tachometer into an kmh one? Where to get the scale?
#4 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Disaster...whats your name....please try to put it with yous car model in as a signature.....the conversion board is for the rev counter...you mention kph/mph so assume your wanting to convert a speedometer..Steve
#5 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:01 pm
by disaster123
Signature added. Ah ok "tacho" is the german word for speedometer ;-)
Thanks!
Stefan
#6 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 pm
by chrisvine
Andrew,
I've just ordered on of these conversions from Spiyda which should be arriving tomorrow. So I'm planning to fit it over the weekend and will post a write up.
I took my car in for a tune up and they reported that the rev counter was way out. The conclusion was it's a result of the EDIS ignition system, which I think is a known problem. The rev counter reads correctly at idle but 'double counts' when accelerating.
Hopefully it will fix the problem.
Chris
#7 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 pm
by mark10337
I met Chris from Spiyda last year at the Lancaster Insurance Classic Car show. Talented guy and had a great chat with him. I especially like the fuel gauge calibrator and anti-slosh device that gives a far more accurate fuel level.
#8 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:38 pm
by cactusman
It would not work with early cars that use the generator on the back of the inlet cam....just so people know....unless of course you add an extra wire from your points back to your modified tacho
#9 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:15 pm
by Heuer
Correct, for an S1 RVI tachometer you will need something like Dave Rawle's board which is unfortunately not available:

#10 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm
by ralphr1780
chrisvine wrote:
I took my car in for a tune up and they reported that the rev counter was way out. The conclusion was it's a result of the EDIS ignition system, which I think is a known problem. The rev counter reads correctly at idle but 'double counts' when accelerating.
Hopefully it will fix the problem.
Chris
Chris I did not face ay problem with rev counter when fitting the EDIS on my S2, surprised you had such one.
Triggerwheels do provide a suitable tacho module which you can then plug in:
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/content ... /p129.html
I bought from them the kit for my S1-3.8 and have fitted this module upon mounting, not so much for the original rev counter or eventual replacement, but rather to be able to connect a simple tachometer in engine compartment while making any tuning. And it works pretty well.
No affiliation whatsoever, just a satisfied customer.
#11 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 am
by abowie
cactusman wrote:It would not work with early cars that use the generator on the back of the inlet cam....just so people know....unless of course you add an extra wire from your points back to your modified tacho
As I discovered when I got mine.
#12 Re: Tacho conversion board
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 am
by cactusman
Andrew...build the in the Dave Rawle thread. I did and it works fine. Even though the board's are no longer available the schematics on the thread....either make your own as I did or there are numerous one off PCB supply companies that should be able to convert the pic into a board.
