Help please with accelerator controls.

Technical advice Q&A
User avatar

Topic author
malcolm
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am
Location: Fleet
Great Britain

#1 Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by malcolm » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 am

I have a problem on my 1969 series 2, 4.2 2+2 with the Throttle control rod. This is item number 11 on the SNG page showing the diagram. For the 2+2, it is shown as "Control rod linking fulcrum levers", for the coupe it is just described as "throttle control rod" (part number C17868) It is the uppermost horizontal section of control rods close to the bulkhead
Thing is, the part is available for the coupe and OTS, but not available for the 2+2
I rang them because I couldn't see there would be a difference, but was told they are a different size for the 2+2!
My issue is that the rod disconnects really easy at the ends where the ball fits in, and recently came adrift on a lane when overtaking a lorry. Somewhat disconcerting!
The problem is that the spring has fallen apart I think in the small unit at the end so the plate isn't pushed forward to grasp the ball. There is a slot at the end for a screwdriver to adjust? the mechanism, but it doesn't come apart to gain access to the spring; you can see punch marks where it's locked so you can just wind in and out a few turns.
Ideas on how to sort this, or find a suitable replacement, would be most welcome.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9243
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#2 Re: Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by mgcjag » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Malcolm.....in the knowledge base there are part lists...just looked it up and yours should be C30932 however quick search on this part no brought me back to the forum.. have a look here http://www.myetype.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5820

Ps they do come apart just twist harded to break the locking marks
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
malcolm
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am
Location: Fleet
Great Britain

#3 Re: Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by malcolm » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks Steve for the info. Yes, it looks like the coupe and OTS is shorter so I can't even get a coupe one and saw a bit off! I'll try the turning harder to get it off though.
Does anyone know if the end of the coupe/OTS version is the same, so I can buy the shorter one and use the ends (assuming they come off?)
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9243
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#4 Re: Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by mgcjag » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 am

Hi Malcolm at the end of the link i posted Ian confirms that the linkages are the same length, just different part numbers
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


iani
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Northamptonshire
Great Britain

#5 Re: Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by iani » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:43 pm

I bought a stainless one from a US supplier in the end, it worked fine, I then swapped the lot out and replaced it all with the Mangoletsi cable conversion, all slop dialled out.
Jaguar - S2 FHC, X150 5.0 XKR
1968 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
malcolm
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am
Location: Fleet
Great Britain

#6 Re: Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by malcolm » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks again Steve! I stopped reading after the first few posts where it was said the 2+2 was longer. I see now at the end they seem to be the same! I'll buy the part, because i can always just use the end (the faulty part on mine) if they do differ.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

politeperson
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Boston UK
Great Britain

#7 Re: Help please with accelerator controls.

Post by politeperson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:10 pm

One thing I have noticed with this type of throttle linkage is that it is best adjusted with the throttle spindles in the fully open position and the pedal on the stops.

Otherwise, the throttle pedal can over-stretch the linkage when your foot rams the pedal the the floor ie overtaking, pulling the linkage apart when the carb butterflys hit the stops.

Also, you will get the maximum effect of the return spring the is wrapped around the throttle pedal. This helps to prevent the throttle sticking open slightly when driving gently.
Finishing off an S1 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic