Page 1 of 1

#1 Cam Covers

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 pm
by Sebring
Hi all,

I have a later 4.2L e-type and would prefer the polished cam covers. Would earlier 3.8 cam covers fit? How about XJ150 cam covers?

I know the tach generator is different but, that can be welded up.

Another Question: Are the cam covers on the XJ6 compatible with the 4.2L e-type. I assume so as i believe the only difference is the valve size...just want to confirm.

Thanks
paul

#2 Re: Cam Covers

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:57 am
by christopher storey
Any of the polished covers can be used except the very early type for Mk VII/XK120 which have no front studs. You may need to use a bung and O ring to close the tachometer drive aperture . Any of the later ribbed cam covers can be used . Incidentally, only the S3 XJ6 had bigger valves , all the earlier XJs being the same as the E type etc.

#3 Re: Cam Covers

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 am
by PeterCrespin
Correct, but only the fuel-injected S3 4.2. The S3 XJ 3.4 stuck with carbs and 1.75" inlets.

Pete

#4 Re: Cam Covers

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:34 pm
by christopher storey
Ah yes, I forgot there was a 3.4 , which incidentally was not a resuscitation of the original XK engine, but was a sleeved version of the 4.2 complete with offset combustion chambers etc