Page 1 of 1
#1 removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:28 am
by kgb123
Hi,
I've managed to strip down the front suspension but am having trouble taking a damaged stub axle (I damaged it!) out of the carrier. Hub is off, the nut holding the stub axle in place is removed, all I have is the carrier and the stubborn stub axle. From various exploded diagrams, this looks like it should simply drift out or perhaps come out with a puller, but i just wanted to check I'd not missed anything obvious before using the puller or a mighty stroke of the mallet.
Thanks
Kevin
#2 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:56 am
by mgcjag
Hi Kevin....you are going to need a 20 ton press.....worth buying one its a great garage tool..cost about £70 on ebay or take to your local garage to press for you
#3 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:06 am
by kgb123
Thanks Steve, so nothing else to worry about simply a pain in the rear to take out. I'll strip the other unit down and take both to my local tame garage.
Cheers
Kevin
#4 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:10 am
by mgcjag
Hi Kevin....when you press it leave the nut half on ...if you dont the stub flies out under all that pressure
#5 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:05 am
by Mich7920
Mine goes out arround 4T I do that for 4 axles.
As Steve said beware it's like a bullet when it goes out !
Mich
#6 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:12 pm
by kgb123
Thanks Steve, Michel, good advice
#7 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 pm
by Mich7920
Just an explication.
It's because the axle is tapered that it is ejected when you put pressure on it.
You don't have this with a straight axle or a bearing
A 10T press or more is marvelous to use.
For the axle, you put pressure 1T and wait 4/5mn you put 2T you wait etc...
Hydraulics is very very powerful.
Don't use freze ot warm, the part tapered is too long there is too much steel.
Hope it help you
Mich
#8 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:09 pm
by abowie
Your local garage or engineering shop will have a big enough press. Wrap the whole thing in a towel before you start. The go with a big bang.
#9 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:46 pm
by Philippe-J.
I found this old thread that deals with an issue I am facing at the moment with the front stub axle. As I am disassembling the front suspension in order to clean and replate everything (and change wear parts), I tried to remove the stub axle too. I tried classical methods, e.g. a puller:

but to no avail. I was happy to read that I did not miss something and that it is "mission impossible" in my work shop...
My question to you guys is: do I have to remove the axle anyway? Mine appears ok, no wear, no rust, no pittings. So why should I bother about that, after all? If you see a good reason to do so, thanks to share it.
Regards,
Philippe
#10 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:07 pm
by mgcjag
There is no reason to remove the stub axel if there is no wear....useing the puller isn't a good idea...put the nut back on the stub axel and use a press....leaving the nut on stops you damaging the thread but more important is that without the nut the stub axel will fly out of the carrier and could cause serious damage...Steve
#11 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:26 pm
by bitsobrits
When I disassembled my front uprights for plating (You do not want to plate the stub axle) I used a press, lightly loaded, then applied heat to the upright center with a heat gun. Took just a few minutes for the stub axle to pop loose. Have something soft to catch the axle when it shoots out!
#12 Re: removing the stub axle from the carrier
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:40 am
by Philippe-J.
Thank you Steve & Steve for your answers.
I'll try and go on without dismounting the axle from the carrier, and clean & zinc plate the later with the former on. I will protect the axle first as a matter of course.
Philippe