Headlight bowls fitment

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#21 Re: Headlight bowls fitment

Post by andrewh » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 pm

1/2 inch will be fine. I think the washer bolt is the same screw from memory, but its several years ago so best check. Certainly UNF. My advice is to run a nice oily taper tap through the captive in the bulkhead before fitted a new screw. Awful to damage the thread and have to replace it.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E-by'eck
Great Britain

#22 Re: Headlight bowls fitment

Post by E-by'eck » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 am

thought I'd add to this post after my Series One exploits on headlight fitting and in particular seating rims. Be aware that there is a special Series One seating rim. SNGB make it at £25 when the "el cheapo" version commonly available is only £10. That one is fine for later etype models without the closed headlights.

The difference is "el cheapo" puts the h/lamp adjusters at 9&12 o'clock. The £25 version puts them at 3&6 o'clock which is the intended position FOR SERIES ONE cars. Guess what....I purchased "el cheapo" as I didn't know about the £25 version and was advised by the SNGB competitor it was the only seating rim available and to drill extra holes in the headlamp diaphragm at 9&12 to make it work, which I have done...argh!!!!. El Cheapo does do the job, but the 12 o'clock adjuster is tight on the bonnet top/wing joint.....don't make my mistake!!

Still can't understand why the Series One seating rim version should carry such a premium price..what a rip off. :evil: :evil:
I bought my headlight parts piecemeal and on reflection a kit would have been a better idea....Holden Electrical are a good choice'

Pictures of "el cheapo" seating rim and the headlamp diaphragms plus the info from the Series One wkshop below'
Graham

E type renovation .... 1962 3.8 Ser1 RHD DHC
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

eddiecross
Great Britain

#23 Re: Headlight bowls fitment

Post by eddiecross » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:02 pm

Bought my complete S1 lamp and bowl kits from Holden.
Ref 59309 Still listed on their site.
Been 2 hours trying to figure it out.
Thanks for the post
Mine are at 9 oclock and 12 o'clock for the adjusters so the seating rim is incorrect and will never fit.
I think someone on here said they were a perfect fit.

Quality of the seating rim and the Lucas headlight is not great. Backing bowls pretty tinny.
Just found the receipt. £201.60.

Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

eddiecross
Great Britain

#24 Re: E Type Jag S1 Headlight Units Holden: 59309 - Not fitting

Post by eddiecross » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Just emailed Holden:
Re: Holden Complete headlamp unit 53909 - Headlight seating rim is incorrect. Adjusters need to be 6 oclock and 03 oclock as viewed from the front

Couple of questions:
• Do all of the part 59309 have the wrong headlamp seating ring or was I unlucky in the pair that I ordered. Would you mind checking a couple from your current stock? I can update the Jag owners website on the latest about this
• I appreciate that I am out of time for getting the seating rim replaced but a bit unhappy at being sold incorrect parts.

Eddie

They replied and pulling website item while they check. They will send correct replacements which is very good of them considering the time elapsed.

Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic