Temperature

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
nzmike
New Zealand

#1 Temperature

Post by nzmike » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:35 pm

Hi all, my S1 4.2 is back on the road after an engine rebuild. It has an 82 degree thermostat and an after market electric fan. Where does the temp guage tend to sit in normal running? Mine is sitting just below the 90 degree mark, is this normal?

I have a standard radiator, water pump etc. I am aware of many cooling upgrades for the E Type, are any of these worth doing?

Many thanks
Michael Wood
S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Temperature

Post by abowie » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:00 am

I have 4 cars with XK engines and they all sit at different temperatures, between 75 and 90. I suspect that this is as much gauge error as it is anything else.

As long as your car isn't going over 90 it is fine.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

WizudOfOz
Australia

#3 Re: Temperature

Post by WizudOfOz » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:11 am

My experience since I've had mine is that it the engine's working hard, i.e. uphill, warm day, following traffic, it'll sit a bit below 90. I've never seen it get above 90.
"Normal" is, say, about 75.
I've got a KoolKat electric fan & on what I presume is a standard radiator with I presume a standard water pump.
Cheers
S1 4.2 FHC, RHD (originally LHD), British Racing Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Temperature

Post by MarekH » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:03 am

An 82'c thermostat starts opening at about 82'c. It keeps opening further with higher temperature
(but not in a linear fashion) and is fully open at about 94'c. Within this 12'c range, it can still divert a greater percentage of water to the radiator and thus have influence on the temperature. There is still some control on the outcome.

If you reach 94-95'c and the temperature continues to rise, then you are overheating.

Once fully open, the thermostat has no further influence on the outcome. Whether your temperatures continue rising above that point or not are now down to how much heat you are producing versus how good your radiator/fan are at dissipating that heat. The temperature now adjusts to equilibrate by those two factors alone.

I'd measure how good a cooling system is by how quickly it can push the temperature back down, rather than worry about what particular value it is.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#5 Re: Temperature

Post by mtnjag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:42 pm

As said, sounds like your thermostat and cooling system is working correctly.
Given that, if you would be more comfortable with a lower running temp put in a lower temp thermostat.
It will still vary temp with work done but will that variation will start at a lower temp and cruise at a lower temp. It may well achieve the same max with extended work.
Also, keep in mind that you will see much more variation in readings in an E than in a modern car. Normal.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#6 Re: Temperature

Post by Polse7317 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:09 pm

Worth checking your voltage regulator…
I had some months ago a temp too high but the temp stickers I have put on the header tank indicated a temp much lower
Reading the upgrade section ,…. I did the modification on the regulator… and now all is fine😃
It’s quite easy !
Good luck
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic