Thoughts on buying an E-Type

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

politeperson
Great Britain

#21 Re: Thoughts on buying an E-Type

Post by politeperson » Wed May 15, 2024 7:34 am

Great minds think alike. R4 is one of my all time favorites.

I have no interest in most cars, especially most old cars. They are just that- old cars!

The word "classic" is now confused with "old". Especially "retro classic" with means "old modern". Everything gets labelled a classic. Its not.

I have cars I am aiming to acquire when they come up at the right price and condition, including 67 fastback mustang, early 911, Citroen DS, another CX and a few others such as a Pagoda. I do like micro-cars, I picked up a Ligier with a diesel engine only yesterday. Its tiny!

There are a few more American cars that look great value at the moment like the Viper, some Corvettes and who doesn't love a Gen 2 Charger? (not cheap though), I am following Hard Up garages one at the moment on Youtube, very exciting I hope he does the right thing and doesn't chop it around too much.

Everything between 1966-71 tends to be right up my street. I has always been like that for me.

I dont think my enthusiasm for the E type will ever vanish. I concocted a plan to have one as a daily driver when I was 16 years old. I probably have too many now and need to thin it out a bit. One or two will do.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Laicey
Great Britain

#22 Re: Thoughts on buying an E-Type

Post by Laicey » Wed May 15, 2024 6:02 pm

I like the early cars too. The MG has no plastic at all (apart from bakelite in the horn button and heater control). I've found it to be very sustainable and I don't worry it won't still be going strong after another 65 years. Renaults are basic enough to be much the same and of course E-types are the same. I run a Peugeot 406 coupe as an everyday car and it is a classic in styling but has 7 ECUs and just about everything on it is specific to the model and mostly not available. Once the seals fail and water starts getting in it'll be dead. It's a shame as they cracked the rust problem by the late '90s and if they had stuck with non-marque specific parts and maybe made some more interesting cars the '90s would have been a glory era in car production.

If you have too many E-types I might have a solution. :bigrin: Though it probably would be prudent to organise my garaging a little better before taking on another car. I've been sketching garage plans this evening.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic