Rear hubs and spacers

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
alunwill
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Location: chester
Great Britain

#1 Rear hubs and spacers

Post by alunwill » Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:55 am

Is it normal to have a 10 thou difference between left and right rear hub preload spacers.

I've replaced my rear hubs because when I stripped them initially they were blue. That is well heated.

I assumed they'd been run dry but now I wonder if having been set up with 110 thou shims, they were in fact just too tight with preload.

Whatever the original issue was, I have spacers which measure 128 and 138 thou when set for zero end float. Is the difference unusual.

Al
Al

Series 1, 2+2
undergoing renovation

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear hubs and spacers

Post by mgcjag » Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:14 am

The spacer sizes are listed in the service manual....its not unusual to have a difference each side.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
alunwill
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Location: chester
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear hubs and spacers

Post by alunwill » Thu Oct 08, 2026 9:22 am

Morning Steve,

Many thanks.

Al
Al

Series 1, 2+2
undergoing renovation

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

rfs1957
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:52 pm
Location: Languedoc - France
France

#4 Re: Rear hubs and spacers

Post by rfs1957 » Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:19 pm

viewtopic.php?t=21809

Hi Al, maybe you have already read these exchanges, but worth looking at whilst you’re deep in there, my opinion now is that if you didn’t need a press to assemble and disassemble the paired hub bearings, then you need Loctite upon final assembly.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
alunwill
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Location: chester
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rear hubs and spacers

Post by alunwill » Fri Oct 09, 2026 7:48 am

Hi Rory,

Yes I definitely needed a press. I've acquired a good range of short pipes that slip over the shafts.

Al
Al

Series 1, 2+2
undergoing renovation

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic