I removed the upper steering column (section above the universal joint /below the dashboard), due to some play, is there a method for fitting the upper and lower felt bushes, it was incredibly tight to push the column back through - I used some light grease before hand anticipating a certain amount of compression in the felt and although I managed to return the column to its position (tapping with a copper mallet) it is still tight certainly far more than would allow the steering wheel to self centre.
Any tips please? :? :?
Steering Column Felts
-
richard btype
Topic author - Posts: 593
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#1 Steering Column Felts
3.8 FHC Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
By felts I assume you mean the black rubber like bushes? You need to ensure that the small round locating lugs are correctly in the holes in the outer column. If still tight ease slightly with small Drexel tool as they will tighten when hot. I just did some with no trouble.
Edit. If you did use felt I think I would swop to the black bushes
Edit. If you did use felt I think I would swop to the black bushes
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
If you want to use the felts you need to soak them in a jar of oil for about a week before assembly. Even then you may find the steering stiff with no self centering. The Elastollan bushes fitted to later cars can also be used but you need to assemble the column on the bench and check how stiff the steering is. You will probably have to relive them on the inside with a Dremel until you have the right amount of play. Bear in mind the shaft heats up when in the car due to the proximity to the engine; it expands which causes the steering to squeak or you loose self-centering. When the whole thing is assembled and back on the car there should be a small amount of play which will disappear as you drive.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
richard btype
Topic author - Posts: 593
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#4
Thank you Gents.
Now don't laugh! I fitted a pair of the Elastollan bushes last year and assumed they were another poorly produced retro product due to the slight movement in the column - hence dismantling it and fitting some felt bearings!
Sometimes one can go out of one's way to?..
Now don't laugh! I fitted a pair of the Elastollan bushes last year and assumed they were another poorly produced retro product due to the slight movement in the column - hence dismantling it and fitting some felt bearings!
Sometimes one can go out of one's way to?..
3.8 FHC Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
IMO both the felts and the replacement plastic bushes from the usuals are junk.
Find someone with a lathe to turn you up some out of Delrin or nylon. Ideally they should be about an inch wide. Once fitted you'll never have a problem again.
Find someone with a lathe to turn you up some out of Delrin or nylon. Ideally they should be about an inch wide. Once fitted you'll never have a problem again.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6 Re: Steering Column Felts
i have just taken delivery of a set of bushes and note that they are now more rubber like rather than the harder plastic. Not sure whether they will relieve with a dremel as with the previous type. I suppose I could put some high temperature silicone grease on them?
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Moeregaard
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm
- Location: Thousand Oaks, California

#7 Re:
I'll second the "home-grown" solution. I turned my own bushings from Delrin when the original bits had broken up due to age, and my supplier didn't have any in stock. Ensure that the outside diameter is a slight press fit in the tube. I ran with these for many years and they were still in the car when I sold it.abowie wrote:IMO both the felts and the replacement plastic bushes from the usuals are junk.
Find someone with a lathe to turn you up some out of Delrin or nylon. Ideally they should be about an inch wide. Once fitted you'll never have a problem again.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036
Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036
Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




