Steering Column Help please!!

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:17 pm

I am just trying to fathom out my steering column for the 4.2 LHD car which I am converting to RHD. I bought the car in bits, so somethings are pretty hard to fathom out. I had the outer steering column tube and no inner column. I have now bought a column inner and new 4.2 indicator stalk but just discovered that it does not fit the tube. Am I correct that one needs to alter the upper bracket on the column tube to the other side as part of the LHD to RHD conversion? Its still not obvious to me that the tube I have is correct for the car I have. When I hold the new indicator stalk tight to the tube the cancel bracket fouls the inner of the indicator stalk. Still following? Good. Basically, I am wondering whether I have a 3.8 tube and what the difference is with a 4.2, or perhaps a 3.8 inner column. If someone can help me here before I go slightly mad I would be grateful. I don't want to start cocking around a column tube if I don't need to. Photos available if required. Dead easy if I could look at a 4.2 RHD column!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi Andrew...have you looked in the knowledge base...S1 4.2 parts catalogue...full diagram of the steering column if it helps......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:19 pm

thank Steve, yes first place I went. So all I can see is that it looks like a 3.8 column, and I would have thought it would be the same, however, there are different part numbers for the v early 3.8 column , later 3.8 and then 4.2. As indeed there are for the indicator switch. Hence I was rather hoping to find someone who has fathomed it all out before. I suspect, that the column tube/shroud I have is LHD and for a 3.8 as my 4.2 indicator stalk will not fit.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Andrew...is there anything in the left to rhd conversion section that might help
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#5 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:02 pm

just a reference to changing the retaining bracket for the indicator switch mechanism through 180 degrees. The parts books list different numbers for the 3.8 indicator stalk and the 4.2 cannot think why though. I would have thought they would be the same . Ah well.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Julian.P
Great Britain

#6 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by Julian.P » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Andrew, been going through a similar problem as you, can you post some pics of what you have..

Julian.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#7 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:43 pm

yes I will do so tomorrow. Packed up for the day now! thx
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#8 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by politeperson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 pm

I converted mine in the summer from lhd to rhd.

I wizzed the stalk around from one side to the other fairly easily.

From memory, I had to rotate the steering lock assembly 180 degrees as well. This involved drilling a rivet out.

So now, what you see in the film is correct for RHD and required no parts.

It is an S2 of course. not sure if that makes a difference.

Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#9 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:52 pm

thank you but I think it is different on a series 2. Some photos from me tomorrow should refresh a few memories!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#10 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by paulsco » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Andrew,
I converted my 65 from LHD to RHD and the LHD steering column needs the bracket for the indicators moved from the left to the right hand side of the column.

The bracket is brazed on and I ground down the braze and melted the remnants to remove the bracket.
There is a raised circular spot, for want of a better word on the other side of the steering column and a circular hole in the bracket which can be used to locate the bracket on the right hand of the column before re-brazing.

ImagePicture 5553 by paul scott, on Flickr

ImagePicture 5555 by paul scott, on Flickr

ImagePicture 5554 by paul scott, on Flickr

The cancel bracket on mine fowls the bracket (it appears to be too long) and I think I am going to have to shorten it a little. I haven't done this yet.

I had a discussion on Jag-Lovers about this, so I do not think it is an isolated problem.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#11 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:43 am

thank you Paul. Yours is the same as mine, what has been throwing me off the trail is that my new 4.2 indicator switch doesn't fit without the cancel bracket screws fouling the inside of the indicator forging. Could be a replacement part issue of course! Now all I need is to see a photo of a genuine 4.2 indicator switch and I should be there. Many thanks chaps.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by Gfhug » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 am

Andrew, is the indicator switch here what you are looking for?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10034

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#13 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by 288gto » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:20 am

Andrew,

This is what yours should look like built up..

As mentioned above, there are different lengths of cancelling finger. I may even have one if you are stuck. Also as mentioned they are definitely handed so it looks like you will need to rotate the bracket through 180 degrees.

Julian, this is what yours should look like built up...

Hope this helps you both and shows others the differences.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#14 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 pm

thanks Chaps. Very helpful. This is what I have
ImageImageImage

what I hope that you can see from these photos is that the indicator fouls on the screws that hold the bracket. I appreciate that I need to move the bracket through 180 degrees but even so this indicator switch will not clear the screws. So whether its correct or not I have yet to discover. any thoughts on that would be good
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#15 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by 288gto » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:22 pm

From those photos, the one thing I can tell you for certain is that the cancelling "finger" is on upside down.
Depending on the inner column there seems to be various positions that this was fitted. Unfortunately I don't have a complete Series 1 column inner and outer but the photo below shows some of the variations. I have also seen the cancelling finger sitting directly over the flat bladed grub screw. There also seem to be at least 3 different lengths of cancelling "finger" the shortest being the one that works with the plastic cancelling ring on later models.

In summary and to paraphrase Eric Morecambe, it would seem you have all the right parts but not necessarily in the right order. :lol:

Keep calm and carry on,

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#16 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by paulsco » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Andrew,

I believe yours is a 65, the same as mine. This is what I have:

ImagePicture 8898 by paul scott, on Flickr

ImagePicture 8895 by paul scott, on Flickr

ImagePicture 8900 by paul scott, on Flickr

Your picture shows the screw for the inner column shaft across the inner column where mine is stopped from turning by the "cancelling finger" itself. I don't know which is correct, but mine is the same as I found it and the same as is on my 340 Jaguar. I notice your indicator switch is different with the metal fingers. Mine is original, although I did have to replace the white plastic contacts.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#17 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by 288gto » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Paul,

Your last picture is very useful. On yours, the bracket that holds the indicator switch is welded on flush with the top of the outer column whereas Andrew's is welded on with the two prongs extending beyond the top of the column.

Edit. Could someone post those two pics next to one another for comparison please. I'm trying to do it on my phone and the [Img] part isn't working. Thanks

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#18 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:24 pm

More great help here , thanks Paul and Simon. It really does seem that there are a number of different combinations available. I have spoken with Simon, and concluded that it may be best for me to set my column up in the car. The inner column can float up and down within the outer column shroud, and is governed by the universal joint at the bottom and the outer by the bracketry of course. Paul, is it possible to measure your column or is it all covered up within the car? What I am interested in is the total length of the inner column from the bottom of the splines to the top of the thread which the adjusting nut screws onto. It would be useful to know why all these components vary to the extent that they do. I can understand that things change around a lot when there is a collapsable column and steering lock and igniton on column involved, but according to the parts book for both 3.8 and 4.2 series One there are several different columns. If I have the correct length inner column then I see no reason why I cannot alter the outer shroud and location of the cancelling ring screws to fix my application.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#19 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by 288gto » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Andrew's. Position higher up the outer column.

Paul's. Flush with the top of the column

This shows the difference in bracket positions
Hopefully this thread will be of use to others and might explain one of the problems getting various components to integrate and work properly.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#20 Re: Steering Column Help please!!

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:43 pm

of course the bracket position not only has an effect upon the potential clearance of the cancel finger under it, but also the location of the indicator switch and the covers. I have slid my cancel lever up the inner column so that the lock grub screw fits in the middle of its split ends. In order to clear the bracket I need to pull the inner column up so that the brass horn pick up is now running on the dipped/serrated section of the brass ferrule which is incorrect. I think I need a slightly shorter cancel finger which I gather they did do and then to relocate the fixing holes for it higher up the column.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic