Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#1 Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:37 pm

Decided to install a remote bleeder setup on my S1.
I have just purchased the kit from SNG Barratt which utilizes a banjo bolt at the slave.

Just been reading a little and I see Fosseway also has a kit which looks similar and says it overcomes the problem of the typical banjo bolt not seating properly and leaking at the slave due to an uneven sealing surface.

Also have seen other comments on line about this being an issue, nothing mentioned specific to the SNG item although their system is the same as sold by other suppliers so perhaps the common system out there.

Anyone have any experience with the installation of either system with any problems or knowledge along this line.

(The Moss kit does not use the banjo bolt method so please don’t include it here.)

Thank you.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by rswaffie » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:58 pm

Hi,
I used the Fosseway, no probs installation or operation. It’s a godsend - I can bleed rear brakes from one side and without jacking it up.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#3 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:30 pm

Great,
Did you install on rebuilt slaves?
The Fosseway kit allows bleeding without opening and closing the valves due to “speed bleeders” right?
-ie-one man bleeding.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#4 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:08 pm

Looking into the Fosseway kit further i see they now, as a standard part of the kit, use a fitting that screws into the cylinder and seals on the orig seat the bleed svrew used with the banjo fitting attaching to that rather than a simple surface washer providing the sealing as in the case of a typical banjo fitting seat.

That appears to be a superior method and I would think eliminate the problem of a copper washer attempting to seal to a rough area around the bleed valve.

It is is an improvement over the earlier kits.

Rswaffle-is yours a recent install? Do you recall how it attached to the slave cylinder?
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by rswaffie » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:43 pm

I installed it three years ago. I used the original calipers, but upgraded pistons from Zeus (I used their alloy 4 pot calipers and pistons on the front). From memory, the kit just screwed in to the calipers. I’ll see if I’ve got some photos. I use a Halfords one-way valve in-line of the bleed tube so I can pump the brakes and flush through fluid until the bubbles are removed. I’ve done this on my own for both front and rear brakes.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#6 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:01 pm

I thought the Fosseway kit already had the one way bleeder at the end?

Thanks, yes wondering if it had the tapered flare that screwed into the cylinder to seal on the inner orig bleed valve seat?

Thanks
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rkellogg19
Great Britain

#7 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by rkellogg19 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:53 am

I’ve used the Fosseway kit on two cars and it is high quality and very easy to install. No experience with other kits but I have no reason to ever try another.
Rob
1962 OTS and 1971 V12 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#8 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:57 am

So did the one you used have the fitting that screwed into the valve and sealed on the original bleeder seat?

It then uses the banjo fitting to slip over that fitting and the sealing washers seal to the fitting rather than the cylinder body
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rkellogg19
Great Britain

#9 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by rkellogg19 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:12 am

Hi here is a photo of the Fosseway kit I installed yesterday on the IRS for my 1971 Series 3 E Type. Same kit as for the Series 1 cars. I’ve kept the original Girling calipers on this one.

Rob

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Andyp_67E
Great Britain

#10 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by Andyp_67E » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:06 pm

I am following this thread as I purchased a Fosseway remote bleed kit last year and had reservations about fitting it so have been putting it off. Due to access with IRS in place, there is mention of releasing the dampers for access. Is this straight forward? As once I start the job I will need to complete it. Also going to replace the 20year old rubber flexi with a stainless braided flexi at the same time. I thought I would entrust my local garage to fit it as they have an the advantage of a ramp. But they are not interested as not standard parts I can only assume.
The issue with sealing on a cast unmachined surface i.e the top of the caliper has now been addressed with the Fosseway kit as it includes the brass adaptors and 2 copper washers for the banjos, also it does have easy bleeds on the ends. See photo of kit contents and instructions.

Andy
1967 Series 1 4.2 OTS
Leicester, UK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#11 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Thanks. Nice pictures. That answers the question on the the slave cylinder fitting.
Fosseway looks like the only kit that has the benefit of sealing on the bleed valve seat as per original and the ease of the banjo connection combined.
Looks like the best kit between SNG, Moss, Terrys to me. I’ll be in contaact with them.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#12 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:16 pm

If you can bleed it with everything in place I don’t see why one could not install the kit with everything in place.
I replaced all 4 of the rear cylinder pots on my 62 with the car on stands, everything in place, while in my garage laying on my back and it would seem to be a much easier job than that twister.
It would appear to be very straight forward at home mechanic job. And then bleeding should be easy!
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rkellogg19
Great Britain

#13 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by rkellogg19 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:13 pm

Andy if you remove the forward-most rear shock on each side then you should be able to install the Fosseway kit. Easier with the IRS out obviously but I do not see why you should not be able to do it that way.
Rob

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#14 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:32 pm

So removing that shock allows one to reach in there from the side so you can get in there with both hands, i see what you’re saying.
With the car up and suspension hanging is that shock/spring just a relaxed removal?
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#15 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:41 pm

Hi Layne...with the suspension just "hanging" all the weight will be on the shocks so difficult to remove......jack up the rear snd support it......then just under the lower wishbone(or on the splined hub) jack up very slightly just enough to de tension tne shocks on the side your working on.....then you can remove one easily......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#16 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:44 pm

Thanks Steve. Sounds like one of those moves that seems like more work for a given job but is minor and makes the job much easier and quicker overall.

Now part of my attack plan.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:04 pm

Hi Layne....note that its only possible to remove a shock if the top fixing bolt was installed the correct way around when the IRS was last out....so worth looking at top bolt before you start......the bolts should be installed from the inside of the irs cage with the nuts on the outside....also when re installing shock make sure you refit the metal sleeve inside the bush...they fall out easily so easily forgoton on install.......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mtnjag
United States of America

#18 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by mtnjag » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:07 pm

Thanks, I’ll take a look before starting. If wrong way around I can get it done without removal if need be.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Andyp_67E
Great Britain

#19 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by Andyp_67E » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:45 pm

Thanks for the tips on fitting this kit.
I fitted it today, with the car supported on axle stands under the diff cage, with wheels removed. So the suspension was unsupported.
Looking at access to the caliper nipple, I could not see how it is possible to fit with front dampers in place. More space is required to fit the brass seat savers and then fitting the banjo with pipe over this, than simply unscrewing the nipple 1/2 a turn to bleed the brakes.
So front shocks had to come off, it only took 10 mins each to remove. No need to jack up the lower wishbone as weight is still supported by rear shock. The front shock easily slid off without force. I did not see any separate sleeve on the shock top bolt, as mentioned, but the bolt seems a looser fit in the shock mount than I was expecting.
Attachments
IMG_20220320_154645_compress59.jpg
IMG_20220320_154645_compress59.jpg (229.17 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Andy
1967 Series 1 4.2 OTS
Leicester, UK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#20 Re: Remote rear brake bleeder install-SNG or Fosseway

Post by dlgis » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks for the update Andy, I’ll be fitting mine when the shocks are off on Wednesday. At the mo Fosseway is not able to supply with non return valves as their supplier is not supplying!
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic