Page 1 of 1
#1 WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 pm
by Jupiter
Coming back from Goodwood I noticed a large crack appear top left of screen. About 4" long, there are no impact marks so maybe a stress crack. Made by Pilkington and maybe 17 years old fitted by Autoglass eventually after loads of problems.
National windscreens are the listed insurer but do I trust them? Anyone recommend someone around Sevenoaks/Tunbridge Wells area who's done it before? A bit worried about how to get the chromes off too, one is already dinged from last time.
Opinions please.
#2 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:51 pm
by Simonpfhc
Hi,
I had a similar failure about a month ago. I've only just recently finish the full restoration and after about 400 miles I got a crack in the screen. Right in the middle, coming down from the top. It looked like a stress fracture too, but the fitter confirmed that it was impact damage as there was a tiny chip - I certainly didn't hear anything when it happened. Very frustrating as I had just bought the screen and spent ages getting a decent fitter and fitting the chromes properly.
Anyway, my insurer was also National Windscreens. I just let them turn up and waited to see if any disasters were imminent. As it turned out, the fitter was quite experienced and had fitted many Etype screens. The screen also looked identical to my old (new!) screen with the same markings in the same place. It got fitted pretty quickly but I decided to refit the chromes myself.
Overall quite impressed with the service.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
#3 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 pm
by Jupiter
That's good to know Simon thanks. You are not far from here, so do you have a contact or name I could refer to?
I really want someone who has done it a few times and cares.
#4 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 pm
by Julian.P
If you want to remove thr trims prior screen fitment, warming the trims with an hot airgun should do the trick, make sure to protect the surrounding area.
Good luck, Julian.
#5 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:54 am
by Simonpfhc
Hi Jupiter,
I don't remember the guys name I'm afraid. However, when you make the call to National Windscreens, they will tell you the local depot and give there phone number. When I rang through to mine, there seemed to be one guy who had been there for ages and new Etypes. All these depots usually have at least one really experienced fitter, yours shouldn't be any different.
Just go for it. You can still refuse the screen if it arrives and proves to be incorrect.
Cheers.
#6 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 pm
by Jupiter
Just to add that the screen is now changed. After much thought it went to National Windscreens with an XS of £75.00. They found a guy in Hastings that had done a few before and he had it done in about x4 hours.
#7 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am
by malcolm
I've just had a repair by Autoglass for a chip. Even for that, because of the car, they sent a really experienced fitter who knew his stuff. I'd suggest you just stress the type of car and the need for someone who knows what he's doing. Also, make sure they bring a new seal - you don't want to be re-using the old one.
#8 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am
by ETTony
Me too.
I needed my screen replaced and my insurance prefered agents are National.
Called on Friday, fitted on Monday.
TBH mine is a roadster so fitting the screen is no problem.(I had refitted it myself in the Spring)
They did ask me though, to take the car to their depot in Exeter.
No dramas and a dry day for it.
#9 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 am
by ralphr1780
Jupiter, Malcolm, Tony, can I ask which brand of windscreen was refitted to your cars?
Thanks,
#10 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am
by ETTony
Ralph, there are no markings on my new screen, except for triplex, laminated and the BS#.
#11 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 am
by malcolm
Mine was repaired, but they THOUGHT they had to replace it originally, so had a screen made by Triplex for me.
#12 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 am
by Jupiter
I thought it was Pilkington but it's unmarked. Pilkington are still making classic screen on the Isle of Sheppey Kent.
#13 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:42 am
by ETTony
I did see a Pilkington van pull away as I was arriving, so may or maynot be Pilkington

#14 Re: WINDCREEN CRACK
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:58 am
by malcolm
malcolm wrote:Mine was repaired, but they THOUGHT they had to replace it originally, so had a screen made by Triplex for me.
Sorry, my error, I meant Pilkington!