#1 Reducing The Seat Height
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:18 pm
Hi Everyone
I fitted MX5 seats a few years back and the resultant seating position has always seemed too high. My eye line is level with the top of the windscreen. The top of my head is in between the hood frame bars when it's up and there is literally no headroom at all. For once my baldness is an advantage-no idea what I'd do if I was sporting a Trump hair construct.
I've now got the seats out and am trying to figure out how I can lower the seating position. I know that at six feet tall I'm a tad larger than Norman Dewis but I don't think that's the real problem.
My original idea was to remove the S1 runners and bolt the seats directly to the floor. Unfortunately the runners rear fixings are already directly bolted to the seat so little or no reduction in height would be achieved by this. The fronts each have a large and small spacer fitted to allow the front of the seat to clear the box section in the floor. Even if it's possible to remove one of these spacers, all that would result is slightly more room between my thighs and the steering wheel. The seating position is dictated by the height of the rear of the squab.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Alan
I fitted MX5 seats a few years back and the resultant seating position has always seemed too high. My eye line is level with the top of the windscreen. The top of my head is in between the hood frame bars when it's up and there is literally no headroom at all. For once my baldness is an advantage-no idea what I'd do if I was sporting a Trump hair construct.
I've now got the seats out and am trying to figure out how I can lower the seating position. I know that at six feet tall I'm a tad larger than Norman Dewis but I don't think that's the real problem.
My original idea was to remove the S1 runners and bolt the seats directly to the floor. Unfortunately the runners rear fixings are already directly bolted to the seat so little or no reduction in height would be achieved by this. The fronts each have a large and small spacer fitted to allow the front of the seat to clear the box section in the floor. Even if it's possible to remove one of these spacers, all that would result is slightly more room between my thighs and the steering wheel. The seating position is dictated by the height of the rear of the squab.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Alan