Page 1 of 1

#1 Gear Lever Chrome Retaining Ring

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Well there's another thread running about missing parts you didn't know you didn't have. I've found the best way to found a lot of these is to do a major job like stripping the car out so the engine and gearbox can be removed.

At the moment I'm concentrating on the gearbox, although the car is an early 3.8 the box is a later all synchro 4.2 unit.
So far it appears to be missing:-
The breather pipe into the engine bay.
The rubber gear lever gaiter and the retaining ring
Most of the self tappers that hold on the gearbox top cover. Any idea what the correct ones look like?
The chrome retaining ring is secured by self tappers and a PO has for some unknown reason decided to cut the ring and then rejoin it with an ugly home made clip.
But my real question is what type of rivet holds the leather gaiter and chrome retaining ring to the aluminium surround.
As far as I can tell they don't look like normal rivets because they seem to have smooth heads, no sign of a stem in the middle. Looking at SNG Barratt's website reveals a bewildering choice. Does anyone know what the correct part number is?

Thanks In Advance

Alan

#2 Re: Gear Lever Chrome Retaining Ring

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:21 pm
by cactusman
My chrome ring at the base of the gear lever gaiter is secured to the aluminium surround by what look like 6BA dome head bolts and nuts....no idea if original although they look pretty ancient....handy for easy removal though..

#3 Re: Gear Lever Chrome Retaining Ring

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm
by tim wood
I think it’s meant to be bifurcated rivets. Having said that I used ordinary pop rivets!

Tim

#4 Re: Gear Lever Chrome Retaining Ring

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:58 pm
by gts2
The part no. of the rivets is BD22385. Barratt does stock them.

#5 Re: Gear Lever Chrome Retaining Ring

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:19 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I thought they might be bifurcating rivets as well Tim.
I've ordered 14 of BD22385.

Cheers

Alan