Page 1 of 1

#1 Dynamo conversion

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm
by Fasthound1963OTS
Hi all. I’ve got a rather bastardized survivor LHD 1963 3.8L OTS which has a C45 dynamo and I’d like to replace it with an alternator which looks like the C45. There are lots of options out there of course and I’m wondering what the latest thinking is in terms of quality of product, reliability, customer service, ease of installation with the following brands:

Fosseway
Dynalite
AccuSpark
Etc.....

I have read all the threads on here, but there’s not a lot of info about what folks have found in terms of pros and cons from the various suppliers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Re: Dynamo conversion

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 pm
by Fasthound1963OTS
By the way, she is negative ground already and I will be replacing the ammeter with a Smith voltmeter.

#3 Re: Dynamo conversion

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm
by Peter27
Hi.

I fitted a 'Dynator' supplied by Autoelectric supplies:
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/197
The original one they supplied to me had a problem (long story) but they swapped it for one from a new manufacturer - this was over a year after the original purchase. Great after-care service and they have ceased using the original manufacturer. I have a positive earth car but fitting was not difficult and the unit has performed reliably. Still wonder whether I really needed to change from a dynamo....but straightforward to change back again I suppose!

#4 Re: Dynamo conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am
by Heuer
Fosseway use a Nippon Denso alternator within the C45 case so you get the look and brilliant reliability.

#5 Re: Dynamo conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm
by Fasthound1963OTS
Thanks. Fosseway is the one I’ve been looking at recently. They’ve been very helpful in terms of answering my questions, etc.

#6 Re: Dynamo conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 pm
by Fasthound1963OTS
I pulled the trigger on the Fosseway Dynator. Will provide feedback after the install. Also decided to upgrade to the standard Fosseway lightweight 4-piston calipers in silver with color-matched logos so not as eye-catching as black logo on silver caliper. Will also report back after the install.