Page 1 of 1
#1 Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 pm
by Jeremy66
I’m trying to fit the power bulge grille to my restored (second hand) bonnet and can’t remember how it was retained originally, I can see the two holes for the bottom bolt fixings of the grille but there is nothing for the two metal studs on the back of the grille to push through and be retained by speed clips.
I also have another original bonnet bulge grille off a different car which appears to have never had two lower fixing points and has relied only on the two studs at the back.
Which is correct for my 1966 car and how should it be fitted?
Thanks

#2 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:13 pm
by 66an
I took a picture of my 1966 bonnet. You can clearly see the holes for the studs. My chrome grill looks the same as yours, with both studs and lower fixation.

#3 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 pm
by oldak
His bonnet is different. You have the same one as I do. You need to get a clip on screw backing plate (not sure of the name)
PS NICE COLOR!
#4 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:11 pm
by oldak
The xks catalog shows an "attaching clip, bonnet vent" as BD-17290. This is for a Series III and attaches to the pins that come out the back of the chrome bonnet vent. I've never used them since i screw the vent in place from the two flanges on the bottom. I didn't see a part number for the clips that I use, but I found them at my local hardware store.
#5 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm
by Heuer
Part number BD17290 "Thread cutting fix, securing grille to bonnet":

#6 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 pm
by Jeremy66
Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately I can't see the images
Well it looks like the better spare grille I had restored is for a series 3 so I've put my less than perfect original on by the two bottom fixings which is fine for now, the original bonnet definitely had the two rear studs engaged on something and retained with spire nuts - I'll keep trying to get those images to work so I know what's missing.
Re the colour I ended up with loads of different reds sprayed on old panels around the workshop including two lovely Ferrari shades but settled on Signal red from the series 2 cars - purists will be dismayed but the car was carmen red originally and it's just not red enough for me!

#7 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am
by Heuer
Jeremy66 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 pm
Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately I can't see the images
I made a change to one of the photos that was not appearing (posted by 66an) - he had used the wrong IMGUR link. Please try clearing your browser cache, closing and then re-opening your browser.
#8 Re: Is my bonnet missing a bit??
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:40 pm
by Jeremy66
Thanks all photo working now
That 66 bonnet is exactly the same as my original rotten one was, I wonder when / if they changed?