Page 1 of 1

#1 Shock absorber colour

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:04 am
by Robbiee
Hi all
Anyone help me with the correct colour for early shock absorbers ?
I believe a kind of blue/grey is correct for a S1 early 1962
Possibly airforce grey/blue?
Thanks
Robbie

#2 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am
by Jeremy
Hi Robbie, this has been well covered here. Factory fit and elsewhere. David (Heuer) has given chapter and verse on it. I resprayed my black Boges with BS 633 (RAF blue-grey) to imitate the original Girlings, although yours being very early may have been something else.

P.S. You will also learn the origin of 633 Squadron, one of the many nuggets of wisdom I have picked up from this awesome forum....;-)

#3 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 pm
by Robbiee
Hi Jeremy
Thanks I’ll check it out

My understanding, correct me if I’m wrong, is that the Ron Goodwin theme had a rhythm to match the title
Namely:
123456, 123, 123

Robbie

#4 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:55 pm
by Philk
Jeremy wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am
Hi Robbie, this has been well covered here. Factory fit and elsewhere. David (Heuer) has given chapter and verse on it. I resprayed my black Boges with BS 633 (RAF blue-grey) to imitate the original Girlings, although yours being very early may have been something else.
This is one of mine in BS633 with the Girling Decal in place

Image

#5 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 pm
by Jeremy
Robbie, I think that's not quite right... the Ron Goodwin theme is |123|456|12|12|12|.... I've played it quite a few times and IIRC he flips the time signature between 6/8 and 3/4 in alternate bars.

David's story about 633 Squadron was that, in real life, it didn't exist as such. It was used to refer to the painters who painted everything in sight with BS633 blue grey paint, which the RAF presumably bought in bulk... :mrgreen:

#6 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am
by Robbiee
Hi Jeremy
Haha...you’re correct..I’ve checked out the score
That bar to bar time sig change gives it a certain urgency!

Thanks for the photo...I’ll get my paint man to match it

Where did you find the decals?
Robbie

#7 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:16 pm
by Philk
Robbiee wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am
Where did you find the decals?
Robbie
http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/Othermarques.htm Part No. ST429 (three-quarters down the page)

#8 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 pm
by Series1 Stu
Matching colours is a vexed question to which there is no one correct answer.

The colour 633 RAF Blue/Grey as specified in BS381C is fully defined within that standard. It is described by its colorimetric values under CIE standard luminant C along with its luminance factor. It is described for both gloss and matt finishes. Assuming that the correct light source is available and you have the equipment to measure chromaticity coordinates then you stand a chance of coming up with something that is a close match in the paint materials of choice.

Ok, so what I've just said is well beyond the majority of us and so we just have to trust the specialists to do as good a job as we can reasonably expect. There are a couple of suggested alternative colours from other paint ranges available, some of which are a very close match, but they are all considered to be distinguishably different.

Although it is a long time since the standard was withdrawn, I have a copy of BS381C with the paint swatches intact. The colour 633 RAF Blue/Grey is indeed very dark and does appear towards the blue end of grey. For those interested enough to try it on their computers, I have found RGB references for this colour and, whilst they vary slightly, they all are in the area of 48, 59, 64.

I have found some companies that offer rattle cans of most BS 381C colours including Riolett Custom Aerosols who will supply 400ml cans for around £10. I've never used them but they may be worth talking to.

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk ... ray-paint/

As for obtaining a perfect match, then I think this is going to be impossible due to the ever evolving formulations of paints, primers and surface treatments.

Regards

#9 Re: Shock absorber colour

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:35 pm
by nandovegni
These are original colour...(never mind wrong wheels).
Image