Page 1 of 1
#1 PL 700s and LEDs
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:34 am
by Sarthe72
Was emailed by Duncan Rickards of Classic Car LEDs today saying that they are developing new LED headlight bulbs for the above. I've asked him to keep me in mind and to email me when they come out, and I'll post here. Well, unless you know of someone who is already making them that is!
#2 Re: PL 700s and LEDs
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am
by cactusman
There are ones now available for MGB's. MGB headlights have round metal back bowls .....whether they fit I don't know....remember that the bowl on a series 1 e type has a flat bit at the back so the wheel does not foul the bowl...makes space behind the reflector even more compromised....and they must still match the beam pattern produced by a filament bulb on dipped beam...
#3 Re: PL 700s and LEDs
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 am
by Heuer
#4 Re: PL 700s and LEDs
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am
by cactusman
I will have to mildly disagree re the repro PL700...at least the ones I got . I fitted two to replace wipac quadoptic units that were on the car and the dipped cut off is visually identical on my garage doors....at least to me. I'd imagine fitting H4 bulbs to an original PL700, if indeed it is possible, would produce an odd pattern. However my copies with Osram night breaker 60/55watt H4 bulbs and the relay conversion seem to perform well.....certainly the MOT man has never commented adversely.... I got mine from here..
https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/7--pl70 ... roduction/
#5 Re: PL 700s and LEDs
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:39 pm
by Heuer
This may help understand how the Lucas '700' series headlamps work:
Lucas PL Headlights guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr2z7lj6wbz0m ... s.pdf?dl=1
Reproduction PL700's are widely available but lens quality is poor. You can tell the difference between an original and a repro unit because:
1. Repro's have '700 Headlamp' moulded into the lower edge of the lens whereas originals do not
2. Originals have 'Made in England' moulded into the glass, repro's do not
3. Originals use a 410 fitment tungsten bulb whereas repros use H4 fitting halogen bulbs.
4. Originals have a shiny metallic back whereas repro's have a dull grey back.