Page 1 of 1
#1 MPG
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 am
by cactusman
Had a gentle run to Suffolk and back last week. Mostly 60 mph A and B roads...but did a couple of more spirited demonstrations for relatives up the A12

. Did the sums when I got back..275 miles covered. About 51 litres used and she returned 24 mpg!!!! Which I think is amazing

#2 Re: MPG
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm
by Sarthe72
Over 100,000 miles I averaged 23 mpg, then had the engine rebuilt and the carbs by Burlen. Now I get 20 mpg and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm not bothered, because in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but I still wonder why.
#3 Re: MPG
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:32 pm
by chrisfell
I’ve never managed better than 22 from my bag of nails, and never worse than 20. It is not tuned, has standard CR, rebuilt SUs, electronic ignition triggering a gold coil to fire iridium plugs. A fat spark and a slightly rich mixture. I could lean the mixture for economy, but that would affect its get up and go, and run the risk of burning valves or the piston crown.
I do not know how our American cousins can get 24 miles for each of their gallons. Maybe they drive more carefully than I do?
#4 Re: MPG
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pm
by Moeregaard
I never got more than 23 miles per U.S. gallon with my '65 FHC, with 20 mpg being the norm. Road trips were usually taken at 65--70 MPH and I had the horrible 3.54:1 gearing.
#5 Re: MPG
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:23 pm
by cactusman
It was a long run at mostly steady speed....pootle around town and I get about 17

#6 Re: MPG
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:03 pm
by Sarthe72
In this photo are two E-types, one my 1961 flat floor and the other a 1972 V12. On a run from Hampshire to St Tropez which was the more economical? Well, most would say the 3.8 but they'd be wrong. The V12 sported an XJ6 overdrive box and a 2.88 rear axle. Including some spirited driving we worked out that I did 22 mpg and he did 23.

#7 Re: MPG
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:40 am
by MarkRado
I never got a consumption better than 23, now with UE needles it is between 18 and 16. Would also be interesting to hear from other members with non standard setup, eg Heuer