MPG

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
cactusman
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Great Britain

#1 MPG

Post by cactusman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 am

Had a gentle run to Suffolk and back last week. Mostly 60 mph A and B roads...but did a couple of more spirited demonstrations for relatives up the A12 :bigrin: . Did the sums when I got back..275 miles covered. About 51 litres used and she returned 24 mpg!!!! Which I think is amazing :bigrin: :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Sarthe72
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21 pm
Great Britain

#2 Re: MPG

Post by Sarthe72 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Over 100,000 miles I averaged 23 mpg, then had the engine rebuilt and the carbs by Burlen. Now I get 20 mpg and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm not bothered, because in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but I still wonder why.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

chrisfell
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Salisbury
St Lucia

#3 Re: MPG

Post by chrisfell » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:32 pm

I’ve never managed better than 22 from my bag of nails, and never worse than 20. It is not tuned, has standard CR, rebuilt SUs, electronic ignition triggering a gold coil to fire iridium plugs. A fat spark and a slightly rich mixture. I could lean the mixture for economy, but that would affect its get up and go, and run the risk of burning valves or the piston crown.

I do not know how our American cousins can get 24 miles for each of their gallons. Maybe they drive more carefully than I do?
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Moeregaard
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
United States of America

#4 Re: MPG

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:14 pm

I never got more than 23 miles per U.S. gallon with my '65 FHC, with 20 mpg being the norm. Road trips were usually taken at 65--70 MPH and I had the horrible 3.54:1 gearing.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
cactusman
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Great Britain

#5 Re: MPG

Post by cactusman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:23 pm

It was a long run at mostly steady speed....pootle around town and I get about 17 :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Sarthe72
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21 pm
Great Britain

#6 Re: MPG

Post by Sarthe72 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:03 pm

In this photo are two E-types, one my 1961 flat floor and the other a 1972 V12. On a run from Hampshire to St Tropez which was the more economical? Well, most would say the 3.8 but they'd be wrong. The V12 sported an XJ6 overdrive box and a 2.88 rear axle. Including some spirited driving we worked out that I did 22 mpg and he did 23.

Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

MarkRado
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am
Location: Graz
Austria

#7 Re: MPG

Post by MarkRado » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:40 am

I never got a consumption better than 23, now with UE needles it is between 18 and 16. Would also be interesting to hear from other members with non standard setup, eg Heuer
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic