Page 1 of 1

#1 Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:07 pm
by HenriVda
Hi guys,

I am quite new to this group but I thought this was the right place. So Currently, I am undertaken a project dealing with the reproduction of rare classic car parts. The next case includes a full Moss gearbox of an E-type (Series 1, 3.8). Via this way, I would like to know whether there's an interest in the complete gearbox or a specific part within the gearbox. As an engineer I'm used to make things like this and so I've made one for my own S1 3.8 and it drives as before.

Many thanks,

Henri

#2 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 pm
by Heuer
Hi Henri

The Moss gearbox itself is not particularly rare however there are few gears available especially third and the lay gear cluster. SC Parts are selling first gear for about £1,200 each and second gear for about £800: https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british ... arbox.html

You might also want to contact these guys: http://jb-engineering.co.uk/?page_id=80 who specialise in the Moss box although their main interest is in Morgan's. They sell a full synchromesh gear set but only if they restore the box.

There would certainly be an interest in being able to restore the Moss box synchro with E-Type owners!

This is the info we have on the Moss box: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=41114#p41114

#3 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 pm
by abowie
Reverse idler bush as a separate part. Gear is C10205/1

C10206/1 2nd and 3rd thrust washers in the oversizes to correct excessive endfloat.

C10201 first gear. Straight cut and gets chewed up by reverse and no synchro on first.

C10204 laygear as 1st gets chewed up. Even better a redesigned laygear with a replaceable first gear.

These are the major unavailable items that would be useful to enable rebuilding a Moss box properly.

#4 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 am
by tinworm
I think that earlier versions of the Moss used on the XK's had a split laygear - maybe a possible place to start?

Barrie

#5 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:20 pm
by HenriVda
Hello guys,

Thank you all for replying! @Heuer, Maybe I was not clear enough, actually I ment we can produce the 4 gears and not the whole Moss gearbox. We are now in the last stage of the profuction of the lay gear cluster (C10204) and we made it in a much harder and stronger material than the original part, now we're on to test it on a real e-type.

In addition, the price will be much lower than the £1200, but Thank you for the information!

#6 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:35 pm
by Heuer
Excellent news! Please keep us informed of developments.

#7 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:33 pm
by Dawnpatrol
Hi Barrie,
I think it is only the CR gearboxes that have a component Laygear. Agreed the CR boxes are much more common in the XK's than E-types. Therefore a good source of a cheap CR upgrade if you know what you are doing.
Regards,
Michael

#8 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:10 pm
by Heuer
The CR boxes have a different case so not sure a standard box can be made into a CR version. They were also cast in different foundries, CR by Qualcast.

#9 Re: Production Moss Gearbox

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:57 pm
by Dawnpatrol
Agreed they are a different part number, but very subtle differences which I think, will have to check, wouldn't preclude it.
Either way the XK CR donor box has the same casing as the E-type CR box, so use that. The bell housing has a different seal arrangement as well to consider.
I think I am right in thinking the Qualcast casings were superseded in E-type production fairly early on? If so the CR casings would have been made by the superseding manufacturer.
However, with sufficient funds at hand I would be knocking on JB's door.