Page 1 of 1
#1 Water proofing
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:03 pm
by vipergts
Is there any way of preventing water ingress on a Roadster?
Comes in through or around the doors. I end up with pooling along the sill.
I’ve fitted membranes with flaps etc and can’t seem to stop it.
Would dearly love to use the car more but rain stops play
#2 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm
by mgcjag
Do you have drain hole covers fitted to the bottom of the doors......without them water will come over the sill seal....Steve
#3 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:32 pm
by vipergts
Yes indeed. Everything present and correct.
#4 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:14 pm
by MarekH
If you have wax in the bottom of the doors, then it ought not to come out at the various bolts on the bottom of the door, but rather through the (unblocked) drain holes instead.
kind regards
Marek
#5 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:18 pm
by 288gto
Have you thought about using a smoke generator and see where the smoke is escaping from? I'm also assuming you have the notches in the sill rubbers and they line up with the drain channels? Are the channels clear? My original doors also had plastic trim grommet/seals just in the bottom trim clip holes. If you haven't got any, maybe some non setting mastic. Have you removed the door card and is there evidence of staining on the back of it.
I also found 3M paint protection film was really good as a membrane because you can warm it up and mold it into all the recesses.
Just a few suggestions,
Simon
#6 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:47 am
by Heuer
From the Forum KB:
Jaguar Service Dept Water leak prevention:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb5usq2cufpfq ... s.pdf?dl=1
#7 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:03 am
by MarkRado
Water tends to find unbelieveable ways esp on an OTS Etype;
I found the a-post seal to be crucial, in your case start checking contact of this seal
- where it meets the hood (first ingress when driving in heavy rain)
- around the dogleg between door and body (first ingress when washing the car)
I got tired buying, modifying and trying apost seals from different suppliers, and now live with some water on the sills and a towel as companion on longer trips; I have the ambition to get it right, though.
#8 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:34 pm
by vipergts
288gto wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:18 pm
Have you thought about using a smoke generator and see where the smoke is escaping from? I'm also assuming you have the notches in the sill rubbers and they line up with the drain channels? Are the channels clear? My original doors also had plastic trim grommet/seals just in the bottom trim clip holes. If you haven't got any, maybe some non setting mastic. Have you removed the door card and is there evidence of staining on the back of it.
I also found 3M paint protection film was really good as a membrane because you can warm it up and mold it into all the recesses.
Just a few suggestions,
Simon
Some thoughts there. PPF is a good idea. Like that.
Also the sealing of the bottom trim studs. Like that
#9 Re: Water proofing
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:36 pm
by vipergts
MarkRado wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:03 am
Water tends to find unbelieveable ways esp on an OTS Etype;
I found the a-post seal to be crucial, in your case start checking contact of this seal
- where it meets the hood (first ingress when driving in heavy rain)
- around the dogleg between door and body (first ingress when washing the car)
I got tired buying, modifying and trying apost seals from different suppliers, and now live with some water on the sills and a towel as companion on longer trips; I have the ambition to get it right, though.
Yes I’ve looked carefully here especially in the sort of water capture tray on top of the door where water can escape between the pop riveted metal. All sealed.