Front license plate bracket

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
cdaubs
United States of America

#1 Front license plate bracket

Post by cdaubs » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:58 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything here. I've been looking around and really can't find a good answer to the following question.

I want to remove the front license plate bracket from my car. I've tried to look and feel around and can't really figure out how it is attached and therefore how to remove it. I don't use a front plate and I cut my hand and arm this past weekend while washing the car. It has to go!

I did find this picture from a previous post. Am I correct in thinking that by removing the two nuts in the center that the entire bracket will then come off??

As always, thank you for your help.
Charlie Daubs
'64 FHC #890093

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BRB
Netherlands

#2 Re: Front license plate bracket

Post by BRB » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:13 pm

When I modified this assembly to fit a French number plate, I removed it from the car as well. First I undid the stalk which is fixed to the car in front of the radiator. After this I opened the headlight fairing (series 1 car) and removed the sugar scoop. Through this openingI could reach in towards the middle under the air intake of the bonnet to undo both screws to take it off. There are dome shaped washers behind the nuts to allow the nut to press on a flat surface, and avoiding to deform the curved bonnet panel.

I seem to remember I needed to gain access from each side of the car (each headlight), since my arms are to short otherwise :bigrin:

Hope this helps.
Jan
1963 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cdaubs
United States of America

#3 Re: Front license plate bracket

Post by cdaubs » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:00 pm

Thank you Jan,

To say it helps...well it does answer my question. I was afraid it was going to be a P.I.T.A. to get done. Oh well, it is a Jag.
Charlie Daubs
'64 FHC #890093

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#4 Re: Front license plate bracket

Post by mtnjag » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:40 am

I think it’s fairly simple. I may be wrong but-

The rod with the clevis is pinned to the front subframe in front of the rad. Open bonnet, look in front of rad and you see it.

I believe the two retaining bolts can be accessed by removing the 6 sheet metal screws holding down the bottom sheet metal of the front cooling air intake.

S/B easy to access.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic