S1 Tachometer removal

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Nick
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:52 am
Location: Kent, UK
Great Britain

#1 S1 Tachometer removal

Post by Nick » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Any tips on the easiest way to remove the tacho ?

a) I've followed the service manual steps for removing the facia panel as far as slackening off the 3 screws and 2 nuts, but the panel is still held tight.

b) I also read on Jag-lovers about removing the top of the dash & getting to the tacho from the top. I've undone the nuts on the 2 captive screws in the fuse compartment, and the A pillar chrome pieces, but the dash top is also holding on fast. Perhaps the windscreen rubber or the air vents are holding it in place.

c) Alternatively I'm wondering if my wife's small hands can reach the tacho clamp screws from below through the jungle of wires & cables.

Any tips on a) b) or c) ?

Thanks,

Nick

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#2

Post by christopher storey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:33 am

Nick : at the outer ends of the fascia top there are two studs and nuts ( one at each end) similar to the ones in the fuse compartment . A 5/16 AF socket - I think - is needed . You should then be able to lift the fascia top off, although sometimes a bit of judicious bending is needed

It can be done from below , but is very difficult indeed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15204
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#3

Post by Heuer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:00 am

I have removed mine several times (Dave Rawl's conversion, EL lighting) from beneath. Remove the under dash cover and you can reach up and slacken one of the knurled knobs. This allows you sufficient slack to rotate the tach to bring the other knurled knob into reach. With both off you can remove the special clamps. Main points to remember are disconnect the battery and remove the bulb holders/wires going to the tach before starting. Refitting is the reverse.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Nick
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:52 am
Location: Kent, UK
Great Britain

#4

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:08 am

Dave/Chris,

Thanks for your comments. I got in from the bottom. I was thinking I would need to get both a finger and thumb on the knurled clamps but luckily I could unscrew them just from pressure on the side of a finger.

Getting the tacho back in & clamped up might be harder than getting it out, but cross that bridge etc.

Nick L.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

38E
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Ontario/Florida
Canada

#5

Post by 38E » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:04 am

I just had my tach out from the underneath too. Just be careful you don't do what I did putting it back. Somehow, whilst rotating it to reach the other knurled nut, I managed to strain the choke indicator lamp.

This lamp is held together solely by the threaded red lens which shattered. It cost me $40 to get another shipped and a week off the road for the car because you can't install the choke light without removing either the tach or the dash top.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic