Indicator /park light lenses

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
peters3103
Australia

#1 Indicator /park light lenses

Post by peters3103 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:37 am

Hi
I’ve purchased some “proper” park light lenses for my early 3.8. I would like to use my original indicator lenses but find they have been glued to the park light lenses. Is there a solvent that I can use to separate them without harming the lenses?
Acetone?

Cheers
Pete
Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
16 XE R Sport 25t Polaris White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#2 Re: Indicator /park light lenses

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:33 am

Pete

I had exactly the same problem when I replaced the lenses on my car. I ended up using a Dremel with a rotary cutting disc to separate them. I cut down slightly on the side of the sidelight lens. Once apart I removed the remains on the side of the indicator lens, both cleaned up well.
I didn't glue the new lenses back together either.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Indicator /park light lenses

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:53 am

There is no known solvent for the glue (Marek tried when he was making moulds of the originals) however it does become brittle with age so tapping the lens on a table might cause them to separate (mine did). They are joined together with a tongue and groove which makes cutting them difficult. Retain the chrome strip as it is a different shape to the repro's. Best way forward is to contact Marek and ask him for a set of indicator lenses which are exact copies of the originals.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Indicator /park light lenses

Post by MarekH » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Solvents that will work will also attack the plastic, so finding one that doesn't is trial and error and error is the likely end result. If put under strain whilst you are also attacking it with a solvent, the plastic will be brittle and may not come apart as intended, so Mr Dremel is your new best friend.
kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic