Page 1 of 1

#1 Early Spark Plug Wire - Rubberised Cloth

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 pm
by heritageclassicsltd
Hey - did anyone ever have any success sourcing rubberised cloth covered spark plug / ignition leads? The car I have had wires like this, rubberised cloth black cover, white core with a stranded wire insert.
I've asked some specialist suppliers to no avail.
Would be nice to get it as original?
Cheers!

#2 Re: Early Spark Plug Wire - Rubberised Cloth

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:05 pm
by Joes66

#3 Re: Early Spark Plug Wire - Rubberised Cloth

Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:23 pm
by Heuer
Jaguar used 'Lucas Cables' black rubber HT cables on the E-Type. Braided cable was used on vintage cars but with the introduction of high energy coils they moved to rubber. This was because the cotton braid attracted moisture resulting in arcing and misfires. If you car has cotton braided cable then it is aftermarket fitment (and a poor choice!).

Image

#4 Re: Early Spark Plug Wire - Rubberised Cloth

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:41 pm
by heritageclassicsltd
The cables on my car are rubber - but if you stare at it closely you can see that it has almost a weave pattern to it, like a fine linen. Thats why i called it rubberised cloth, its not cotton braided.
I can't see from your photo what the surface finish is like, maybe you could add an enlargement.
In any case, the question stands as to whether it can be sourced!
Thanks

#5 Re: Early Spark Plug Wire - Rubberised Cloth

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:43 pm
by heritageclassicsltd
I already asked Green Sparkplug co. - they have a "rubber" cable but its shiny and nothing like what I have.
Thanks tho!

#6 Re: Early Spark Plug Wire - Rubberised Cloth

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm
by abowie
Have you tried Autosparks?