Series 1.5 conversion LHD to RHD

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Heronscourt
Great Britain

#1 Series 1.5 conversion LHD to RHD

Post by Heronscourt » Wed May 12, 2021 8:57 pm

I’m still struggling with determining which parts are needed (correct ) for converting to RHD. I have lower column C20487 on order. I have outer steering column C 20160, steering tube C23053 and the associated mounting brackets. The problem is that when the indicator switch with horn push is mounted on the end of the tube, cancelling finger is mounted on the column and the column is inserted in the tube with the finger properly engaged, the column does not protrude far enough beyond the lower end of the tube sufficiently to mount the UJ. Taking measurements, the indicator switch extends 2cm beyond the top of the tube. This 2cm is sufficient to move the column back up the tube and prevent the UJ from locating on the lower end of the upper column. SNG Barrett assembly diagrams for series 1 4.2 and series 1.5 show different tubes. The series 1.5 tube illustration looks shorter and mounting positions are different but may be in the same relationship to each other. However part numbers for both tubes are quoted as C23053. Does a different tube exist and where is or is it a matter of removing 2cm from the top of C23053 and re-drilling the elastomer bearing locating holes?
My current thoughts are to install the lower shaft, tube and it’s mounting brackets and insert the upper column without the indicator stalk and check if 2cm would solve the problem whilst leaving the tube in correct relationship with the dashboard to give clearance for the stalk and shroud. The ignition switch is column mounted but no column lock.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 1.5 conversion LHD to RHD

Post by neal herridge » Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm

I would move your ignition switch to the instrument panel if you are using a S1 panel.
It is very easy to convert a MK2 panel to work on a E-type.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 1.5 conversion LHD to RHD

Post by politeperson » Sun May 16, 2021 5:35 pm

Good advice Neal
Its true, but Enzo never said it