Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Miguel92
Belgium

#1 Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Post by Miguel92 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:26 am

Hello

I'm in the process of restoring 885026 (26th LHD FHC), build date (7/9/1961).
The car needs to be as correct as possible (with some minor exceptions).
This should be a straight bulkhead car, except for it isn't.
Sometime in the past, the bulkhead was modified, indented.
As the owner is quite a tall man, he would like to keep this feature, every cm matters.

Still, this feature makes me wonder, there's a few things that don't add up.
To begin with, the modifying is done very neatly. It almost looks like it's pressed in with some sort of mould. No hammering to see anywhere.
The 2nd weird thing is the interior trim. There is an adapted hinge extension with a wavey top. The support rail also follows the waved form.
This car is of the road for at least 25 years. Sometime way before that, the interior was retrimmed (or overtrimmed, original trim is under the new) from beige to bordeaux colour. What's strange to me, is that, on the hinged extension and the support rail, under the retrimmed, bordeaux leather, there still is beige vinyl (or some sort) to find, that matches the original very well. This makes me think the modified bulkhead is done very early in its life.

I'm not assuming this is some sort of experimental car (although that would be terrific), but it makes me wonder if this could be some sort of distributor/dealer modification. Anyone here who have seen a similar modification, or who can shed a light on this?

Miguel

E-Type restorer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Post by tinworm » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:04 am

That looks like a modification to me . The trim is US style of the time just to back that up. A friend of mine had an early RHD flat floor coupe and his had a replacement panel behind the drivers seat only - this was pop rivetted in and the pop rivet shafts were found under the anti-drum material . That is an indication of what Jaguar were doing at the time - maybe. The steel trim panel and the luggage board were of the later post flat floor type.

intriguing nonetheless.

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Post by Heuer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Check the rake of the seats. Flat bulkhead cars had seats with a 10 degree rake, later cars had a rake of 20 degrees to take advantage of the extra room: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=52779#p52779
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Miguel92
Belgium

#4 Re: Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Post by Miguel92 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Heuer wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 pm
Check the rake of the seats. Flat bulkhead cars had seats with a 10 degree rake, later cars had a rake of 20 degrees to take advantage of the extra room: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=52779#p52779
The seats are the correct (for this VIN) 10° rake type. Am I right in saying that the modification doesn't really make that much of a difference?

Miguel

E-Type restorer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Post by Heuer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:03 pm

If the car is going to be driven it makes no difference, if it is going to be concours then it does. Will it hurt its value, can't be sure but it may make it more difficult to sell. For a tall driver you may want to suggest dished floors which were official retro-fit parts. Flat floors are not nice to drive unless you have small feet!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#6 Re: Early FHC with non-straight rear bulkhead

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:07 pm

"The car (885026) needs to be as correct as possible (with some minor exceptions)."
- Curved bulkheads and dished footwells are not "minor exceptions." Those features cannot be easily or cheapily reversed.
IMHO, it would be a shame not to restore such an early car to its original configuration, no exceptions.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic