e type wiper motor upgrade?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#1 e type wiper motor upgrade?

Post by gtjoey » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:35 pm

Anyone have an idea of an etype coupe replacement modern wiper motor?
Thanks in advance, mine is rebuilt, its OK but would be nice if it wereALOT FASTER.
GTJOEY1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: e type wiper motor upgrade?

Post by cactusman » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:16 pm

No..sorry....for me it's not so much the speed that's an issue....more the wiper blades/contact with screen! :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#3 Re: e type wiper motor upgrade?

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:43 pm

The more you use them, the better they get. Which is why they are almost always reported as poor these days by people who avoid night or wet driving. Which is not 'Gran Turismo Joe'...!

I regarded them as one area where the 1960s technology really showed up compared to modern tech. I still do, especially the washers and the slightly tedious need to flick-wipe where fitting an intermittent gizmo would be easier. But a couple of continental trips and even a wet few UK days in Angus's untouched S1 FHC, showed that after half an hour or so things improve, especially with a screen-wash additive in the reservoir. Then of course there's Rainex as a preventative, to save needing the wipers at all in some conditions. If the driver side blade has really taken a curve and hardly touches the flat part of the screen, swap it with the passenger side blade.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#4 Re: e type wiper motor upgrade?

Post by gtjoey » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:36 pm

Thanks Guys.Pete, i have the rain x as well........
Im having so much fun with this car...
Thanks again.
gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#5 Re: e type wiper motor upgrade?

Post by Kember17 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:00 am

Another vote for RainX.

I’ve always taken the view that the Jaguar, much like my Alfa Spider, sees its wipers as a friendly but largely effete gesture towards road safety rather than as a credibly useful tool.

I’ve just driven across the Alpes Maritimes and the Massif Central in biblical thunderstorms in the Spider. Halfway through, the electrics decided to malfunction and the wiper motors wouldn’t turn and, in pressing on, it became very clear to me that it was the RainX that had been doing the heavy lifting in terms of clearing the screen. The only real limiting factor is the need to maintain a reasonable speed (40 mph plus, preferably 60) to shift the surface droplets and keep the screen fully clear. That, and running the heater ventilator at full pelt with external temperatures in the 90s.

And, if anything, the Spider’s (original) wipers are more effective than my Series 1’s (which have been fully restored), at least when the Magneti Marelli electrical system decides to get out of bed and power them.
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#6 Re: e type wiper motor upgrade?

Post by 1954Etype » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:37 am

The wipers do work if the correct type is fitted. Originally they were 'panoramic' blades which followed the curvature of the screen. The blades we seem to buy nowadays are too straight. We change the rubber with softer blades (normally a Halfords refill) which helps.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic