Page 1 of 1
#1 Accelerator return spring
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:48 pm
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Everyone
I've just changed the accelerator pedal after a fellow member pointed out that it looked completely wrong. It turned out to be a cobbled together bodge which was made up of the top half of the original pedal, an unidentified middle section and topped off with what looks like a clutch pedal.
The job uncovered another bodge which had been staring me in the face for 10 years. The bracket holding the brake and clutch reservoirs had broken and on closer inspection it turned out to be the original 3.8 triple mount cut down to a twin mount. This was now situated on the RHS of the bulkhead 4.2 style. This was most likely done when the brakes were upgraded to the later 4.2 system.
I can't believe how I missed this bodge for so long.
Anyway my question is about the return spring C14366, it's obvious where it connects to on the pedal but where does it connect to on the bodywork? A photo would be most appreciated.
Thanks
#2 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:23 am
by abowie
Your car has the early 4.2 brake master setup.
This is a photo of that area on 1E1008 an original RHD 4.2 we restored 10 years ago.
Your return spring is not original. There are 3 springs, one per carby, attached to brackets below the SU's.

#3 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:49 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Andrew
Yes i know that’s a non original spring, I attached it myself several years ago. I now realise this was compensating for the lack of a return spring on my “special” pedal assembly.
The one I am asking about is on the accelerator pedal itself, in the cabin. The new pedal has a lug with a hole drilled in it, but there’s no sign of an equivalent fixing point under the dash.
#4 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:29 am
by abowie
With the S1 cars while there's a hole for a spring on the pedal they aren't usually fitted.
I don't have one on my original RHD 4.2, and don't recall seeing one on other cars I've worked on.
#5 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:02 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Thanks Andrew, this makes sense since the under dash area is covered by hardura. Looks like I’ve got a spare spring then.
Confusingly SNGB’s exploded diagram clearly shows one. This is the reason I bought one along with the pedal.

#6 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:25 pm
by bitsobrits
Sorry, mis read the original post.
#7 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:42 pm
by caveman
No pedal spring on my May 1965 4.2 either and as Andrew mentions, they should be under each carb. I was missing one after restoration so suffered from pedal being too light and over responsive.
#8 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:09 pm
by Tony
I have a return spring on my pedal. It fits in a hole in the pedal and the other end fits in a slot on the upper panel.
I have mine out at the moment so if you cannot find it I can try and take a photo. You need to pull down the endura around the pedal area to see the slot.
#9 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:22 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Tony
A photo would be very useful if you could oblige.
How does the spring pass through the hardura to reach the slot? There doesn't appear to be any opening cut in it to allow this to happen, although mine are reproductions from Aldridge.
Thanks
#10 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:37 am
by Tony
Hi, I will check when I get out to the garage. From what I remember the spring was under the hardura. The reason I have my throttle peddle out is that I have a lot of slack before the accelerator operates the throttle linkage (2”).
Thinking about it, the spring is taking the slack out of the peddle and drawing it back away from throttle linkage. So if you have any slack in you peddle the spring will hold the peddle back before activating the throttle. If the spring was removed the peddle would drop until the slack is taken up giving you instant response.
It is a bit difficult to explain this in writing so apologise if this is a bit convoluted but will try and get you a photo.
#11 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:52 am
by Nawang61
#12 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:37 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Thanks for the photo.
Looks like I need to peel the Hardura right off to access the hole.
#13 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:48 pm
by Tony
Alan, I did actually post pictures but they do not seem to be showing. I can redo them if you want but Nawang61 pictures tell you all you need to know.
#14 Re: Accelerator return spring
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:52 am
by ALAN COCHRANE
Hi Tomy
Thanks but no need for you to post an image.
