EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

peters3103
Australia

#21 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by peters3103 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:05 am

Life with my current E-Type, 14 years ago, started with 6 1/2” centre-laced wires shod with Michelin XWX 205 70’s - same as Gtjoey’s set up. I liked the stance but it always felt heavy, not only at parking speed but also roundabouts, twisty mountains etc. I changed to 5” wheels with XVS 185’s 7 years ago which transformed the drive significantly, however it’s still a bit of an arm wrestle with parking, three point turns etc. especially as I advance in years and decline in muscle! I’d love to test drive a similarly set up E-Type with power assist but not an option for me here, so I too look forward to hearing Angus’ report.

Cheers from a land down-under
Pete
Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
16 XE R Sport 25t Polaris White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#22 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am

It’s wonderful to see that one of our largest suppliers of parts and a true enthusiast is willing to take part.
As I have said from the begining the Etype is one of the small handful of cars that can transform from the 1960s to modern day and still be able to keep up with just the slightest of changes.
Remember my set up is as follows
205/70/15 on 6 inch wheels not 6 1/2.
Pretty common these days.
Over the last 30 years this has been the best overall for me with the roads and traffic we encounter.
I have explained in the past that with 185 tires it might be different , maybe lowering tire pressures to get the same effect.
My combination with the EZ , the car feels like a solid late 1990s to early 2000”s steering feel.
Just right too me
I am also using a 1 inch smaller wheel for room
And comfort
The whole package adds up for a more comfortable, safe and responsive ride ,to me.
I think you will hear the 50ee car is running the same overall set up.
Ez with the stock steering wheel and dinky tires Ehhhh?
Once again I drive ALOT of miles alot.
Good luck guys
Can’t wait to hear some more views!
Julian Thank You! For all that your team does for the hobby!
Cheers
Gtjoey1314
Last edited by gtjoey on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#23 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by JulianBarratt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 am

Hi All,
We are running Blockley 205/70

And yes - we also have a removable steering wheel fitted on 50EE.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#24 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by 1954Etype » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:26 am

Finally got round to fitting the kit and test driving. Here are my thoughts.

Firstly, I come from the camp of you don't need power steering provided the car is set up properly and you are running 185 tyres. Its a bit of a shove when parking but not overly so. Its only because we get asked to fit it by customers and my daughter drives my car a lot so she finds it hard to maneuver at low speeds.

I also drove Simon Woods car fitted with a different system and have to say I really liked it.

So, onto the EZ. I won't go into the fitting side as I believe there are some improvements they could make and is something I will take up with SNG in due course.

I took the car out yesterday for a drive around town, twisty, fast roads and finally motorway. Took a bit of getting used to but I have to say, it's brilliant! I was looking for a change in feel at different speeds but it compensates and the assistance feels the same at whatever speed you are doing (we have the unit fitted behind the speedo that sends the signals to the ECU). It feels like a modern car and all the kickback from the road is absorbed so you can't feel the steering wheel reacting to the road surface.

One of the conditions of fitting the unit for me had to be the aesthetics. The motor I had seen on previous models was positioned at the 7 o'clock position and looked obtrusive. The model I fitted has the motor at 9 o'clock so is hidden out of sight. The ECU is mounted onto the bulkhead near to the pedal box and I would prefer to see that repositioned - again, you can't see it unless you look for it. The millboards or under dash panels have to be modified.

The next step for us is to change the steering rack mounts for solid to see how that feels as I would prefer solid mounts. We are also going to look at camber settings.

Is it worth the cost? If you are struggling to steer your car (with everything set up properly) then yes, definately.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#25 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by Tony » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:50 pm

I fitted my EZ last year and find it really good as I am on 205 tyres. The only thing I find a little disturbing is when I am going around long slow bends at around 25 to 30 mph. I can feel the power steering cutting in or out as I move around the 25-30 mph speed in the bend. I have spoken to EZ and they are a bit surprised and suggested I check for any loose connections that maybe causing the power unit to cut in and out. I will update you on progress. i did talk to SNG at Shelsley Walsh if the the unit was adjustable as to what speed the unit decides to engage or drop the assistance but they were not sure this was possible.
However despite this smal issue I find the system really good for slow parking manourvers
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#26 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:47 pm

Sorry guys my 90 year old mother in law needed attending to so I have been away.
The EZ steering is like the 123 ignition.
It brings out all the warts with the rest of the car!
My suspension is completely brand new.
So the unit is just the cherry on the cake
You cannot describe how it isolated the road in a GOOD way .
I’m happy that your happy
I know you won’t want to hear this but with 205 tires and an inch smaller wheel
The car is transformed to another level
Imho
GTjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BobKTX
United States of America

#27 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by BobKTX » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 am

I have an EZ Power Steering unit on order from SNG after talking extensively with our buddy @GTJoey. In ordering mine, I pointed out to both SNG and EZ that I had a "very early" Series 2. The typical Series 2 has a steering lock which means a steel barrel bolted to the side of the column, my car never had that.

The very early S2's were more like the Series 1.5's in that there were two possible locations for the ignition key to be mounted, 1) If the car came equipped with factory air, then the key switch was on the AC panel right next to the air control knob, or 2) if the car didn't have factory then the key switch was mounted on a bracket that was attached to the top of the column. In fact on the Series 2 Forum, a user @tinworm has managed to manufacture some of these rare parts. I was lucky enough to have worked with him and was able to acquire one of them from him.

The EZ units are shown on both the SNG and EZ websites as have two models, one for the Series 1 and one for the Series 2, but the S2 model has the steering lock barrel. Luckily, the EZ Power Steering folks were aware of this issue and modified one of their models to eliminate the S2 barrel lock and also provided the bracket that is attached to the column, permitting the ignition switch to be mounted per the original factory plans.

My unit should arrive within the next week and will happily provide before and after photos of the unit and the installation, as well as a report on the driving experience. More to come....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#28 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:54 am

Bob, Are you running a 1 inch smaller wheel as well?
I thought you did?
What tires ect?
gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BobKTX
United States of America

#29 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by BobKTX » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:44 am

gtjoey wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:54 am
Bob, Are you running a 1 inch smaller wheel as well?
I thought you did?
What tires ect?
gtjoey1314
I'm running a 15 inch wood steering wheel that feels much more solid (no flex) and a bit thicker from a feel perspective. I've recently installed new 6 inch "British Wire Wheels" and Michelin XWX 205/70/15's. I love both the ride and the look of the new wheels and tires......a major improvement all around.

While I've driven several cars without power steering, I plan on teaching my teenage granddaughter how to drive a "stick" and she'll need the assist and I'll enjoy it when parking.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#30 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 pm

That combination is the easiest yet most overall comfortable for today’s modern driving.
I purchased the 15 inch wheel from Welsh which looks spot on to original with a thicker rim and of course the smaller diameter.
That in combination with the 6 inch , give you great confidence when competing against SUV monsters driving at 90 mph on a 30 mph roadway
My 66 I used stock 5 inch with the Pirelli 185s
The LOOK on the drop top was spot on and on back roads the car would dance!
But in any other situation the trade off was just to great.
Like the others have said , it eliminates the old kick back and the harshness from the road but does not over power at all
Bob, report back when done!
You have a series 2 ?
Tell us what you think with the installation being it’s not a series 1
Good luck
Gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#31 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by Gfhug » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 pm

And I used to think that being able to drive an E Type separated the men from the boys :swerve:
Now it looks like it’s only for weak old men! :roll: :lol:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#32 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:12 pm

Gfhug wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 pm
And I used to think that being able to drive an E Type separated the men from the boys :swerve:
Now it looks like it’s only for weak old men! :roll: :lol:

Geoff
Well , We have been tracking club members and size as of late.......
Average MG Club member age.......74
Average Triumph Club member age .....74
Average Jaguar Club member age .......72 , The last 30 years of newer cars brought the age from 82 to 72 :bigrin:
Average Rolls Royce Club member age.......DEAD, Their trust attorney gets the magazine! :lol:
Im from the camp of whatever makes you happy, just enjoy the car....
Fact that many do not want to adress, young people overall have little or no interest.
Our Jags will be an exception but less than 1 percent tops in 5 to 10 years.
In ten years looking at the above table means something else....
Most are DEAD.......
So Im enjoying my set up as my testosterone has gone down....
Its better than most owners who stare at a pile of rusty bits for 40 years, then die, then the wife calls me or Philip and we get the car for 5 grand.....
Enjoy
GTJOEY1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#33 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by Gfhug » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:19 pm

gtjoey wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:12 pm
So Im enjoying my set up as my testosterone has gone down....
GTJOEY1314
Joey, it sounds more like you need HRT :lol:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#34 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:42 am

I dont know what HRT is in the states but after 35 years married and my 90 year old mother in law with us.
Ive been begging for a Brazilian maid to help out :)
gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#35 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by mark10337 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:53 am

paulsco wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:50 pm
I’ve been following this on JL Joey and finding it very interesting.

I must be getting weak in my old age as I am finding the steering quite heavy, even with 185 tyres.

I am thinking about making my own system though, possibly MGF or Corsa B or C.
I can’t justify the expense of the EZ system.
You might be interested in a video from SuperfastMatt on youtube. He's retrofitted a tesla motor into a Jag Mk5 (work in progress but he's almost done). He made his own power steering from a Toyota Prius unit. You might find this video interesting "How to fit power steering to any car".

He gives a background to the different types of systems, how they function, hydraulic, electric, rack attached, column attached, and steer by wire. He then shows how he has tackled it with the jaguar conversion. There's a follow up video also regarding some of the mounting issues. "Steering Made Simple. And Then Made Complicated. And Then Even More Complicated."

Some good comments to the videos also - I mean practical ones not just praise etc.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#36 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by Robbiee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Comment from my 5’ 2”” wife aged 61
“Why would you spoil an etype with a fat little steering wheel and power steering…the steering is easy and the steering wheel is slim and light and anything else looks ugly”
😉
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#37 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:59 pm

As others have said, for those who choose wider wheels and tyres it is a sensible option. There are also others who are challenged by health issues or age related loss of upper body strength who can continue to enjoy their car for longer. Not so affected I was sceptical but the experiences of Joey, Julian and Angus have me intrigued. Angus is bringing his FHC (185 tyres, 16" stock steering wheel) up to me next week so I will report back.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#38 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 pm

Is your wife doin 800 to a 1,000 miles a month in an Etype?
If so God bless her!
I’m not a betting man
But I can guess you have taken your early car around the block once or twice this year?
It’s just not the same once you start putting miles on the car
But to each his or her or unidentified own as they say
Gtjoey23-4

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#39 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by Robbiee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Daily driver all this spring /summer but yes..only about 3500 miles this year so far😞
I guess if one prefers the modern car feel and fatter tyres then that’s great
👍
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gtjoey
United States of America

#40 Re: EZ STEERING GTJOEY ITS A NEW WORLD!

Post by gtjoey » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:46 pm

That’s still great to hear!
Keep it up…..
Enjoy the ride!
Gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic