E-type Runs Again

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Scottie
United States of America

#1 E-type Runs Again

Post by Scottie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:07 pm

After 30 years in hibernation my E-type, 887030, runs again! I thought I'd share some points. This is a rust free (truly!) FHC from the southwest deserts of the U.S. that has been in my family since 1990 and in my hands since 2003. It has been indoors all that time. A year ago July, I uncovered it and once again commenced its restoration.

As you all know it is a happy moment to hear you project run after such a long time. It started on 20Aug2021 and moved under its own power on 21Aug2021. So two happy events in short order. I had made a temporary fuel supply (the gallon jug sitting on the data plate) and wired just the engine switched to the battery. The startup was actually a bit unplanned as it only had 30 year old sparkplugs in it of two different brands! With a friend to assist, we rolled it out of the garage just to assure the fuel system didn't leak and that the spark was active. It was late in the day and our plan was to check it all over and then attempt the start in the morning. But with 3 fire extinguishers standing by, we primed the SUs (rebuilt by Rhys Kent of Victoria, Canada) and checked for leaks, etc. All looked well so we switched on the coil and pushed the starter solenoid. 3 crank-arounds and the dang thing fired up! A surprise...but a happy one. The next day I drove it out of the garage!

I am now proceeding with finishing the electrics and then shall tackle the interior.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: E-type Runs Again

Post by rswaffie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Excellent- always good to see another E back up and running!
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Scottie
United States of America

#3 Re: E-type Runs Again

Post by Scottie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks Richard. Yours has been one of the ones I have tracked for the past year and I have read many of your early posts. I thank you for those.

Today was spent with a determination to conquer the wiring. The harnesses, new 30 years ago, came with the car but the "restorer" had stopped work long before he stopped asking for money. The original wiring and connectors, etc. had been lost in that process so it has been an adventure to sort out the wiring. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once I get it functioning as original, I shall then add a number of enhancements such as relays to keep the high current loads out of the passenger compartment and the addition of an alternator vs. the generator, and LED lighting. The plan is to keep it vintage looking but take advantage of modern technology and techniques as seem fitting.
One really cool original piece is the Blaupunkt TR Frankfurt De Luxe 32471 radio that has been now switched to a negative earth configuration. It works perfectly!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: E-type Runs Again

Post by Gfhug » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Scottie, it’s always great news to hear of another E Type getting back to roadworthy condition. Keep up the good work and here’s hoping you’ll not have too many upsets along the way.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Scottie
United States of America

#5 Re: E-type Runs Again

Post by Scottie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:46 pm

Thank you Geoff. I think perhaps "upsets" are a part of the game with this car?? There's been many just to get to this point but it's not the problems that count but what is done with them! We'll see where it goes from here but if I don't finish it soonish, I'll be too old to shift it! BTW, road in my first XKE as it was known in the states in late summer on 1961. That was exciting!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#6 Re: E-type Runs Again

Post by 265bhp » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 pm

Excellent…l :salute:
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring