Page 1 of 1

#1 FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:01 am
by pinza
Hello forum,
Just a quick question…..for my ‘64 3.8 FHC.
Are the 2 hinges for the rear door identical ? - mine are not (one slightly narrower than the other)
I think the part number is BD20261 ( I don’t have a parts book), so I think they should be the same.
A quick confirmation will help me greatly with my plan of attack.
Thanks,
Glenn

#2 Re: FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 pm
by caveman
Image

Image

From the 3.8 parts catalogue found here in the E Type knowledge base, (top of forum contents page)

#3 Re: FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm
by 265bhp
Not on mine….

Best
Jonathan

#4 Re: FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm
by pinza
Thanks Steve,
Will get to work,
Glenn

#5 Re: FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:11 pm
by dxke38
Hi Glenn, on my 64 3.8 fhc the two hinges are definitely different. I don't know part numbers but if yours aren't the same size I would think they are correct. I know the early ones were prefabricated rather than cast so they may have been the same.

#6 Re: FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:29 am
by tinworm
The early hinges were cut from steel plate and there is a designated top and bottom one the same as the cast aluminium (later) items. Both types are different in their mountings to the door and the door is different too at this point. The early door is quite flexible and the hinge mounting could work harden and crack the steel here. The later doors had beefed up hinge mountings as well as other differences (glass shape etc). My '61 coupe had all these features and I had to treat the door with some care when opening it.

hope this helps

Barrie

#7 Re: FHC Rear Door Hinges

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:55 pm
by Allrand
My '64 3.8 had some considerable damage to the hinged edge of the door and frame. I think that this was caused by strong wind whipping the door open or when leaving the door open without engaging the suport bracket. It remains very flexible on that edge and I need to take care not to open it too far. Be warned!
Image