SNGB 3.8 brake reservoir

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Dave K
Great Britain

#1 SNGB 3.8 brake reservoir

Post by Dave K » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:04 am

I just fitted a round style 3.8 brake reservoir brake bottle from SNGB, after 15 years the old one gave up at the outlet, it didn't have the steel insert the originals had.
The new one from SNGB is very good quality and has the steel insert, however it is 4mm larger on the OD than the original one which makes it very difficult to tighten up the clamp. The clamp used to close right up now I have a 3/8" gap and had to use a longer bolt.
The other problem I have found is the threads are courser on the top making screwing down the lid with the float in very difficult.
I can get by with this but I'm pretty sure if I had to fit 3 new ones they wouldn't fit, the two on either side of the centre would probably be just about OK but doubt all 3 would fit.
Anyone else encountered this problem? Since they appear to have low stock most of them must have been sold.

It appears that M&C Wilkinson have the correct size with steel insert and filter, wish I'd known that last week.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: SNGB 3.8 brake reservoir

Post by cactusman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:59 pm

Keep a close eye on the reservoir. Hopefully SNG have improved them but I have replaced at least three repro bottles....some from SNG and some from other suppliers.....all failed in the same way...weld seam joining the two halves together failed just at the bottom where the outlet is...fluid seeps out...the quality of repro sovy bottles is very questionable IMO!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic